Chapter 81: Ending

It was a festival hosted by the duke to celebrate the great success of ridding the Dutchy of curses.

Hosting an award ceremony, Delrik gallantly stood on a stage in front of villagers, knights, and servants. He had a new title, 'Guardian of the Realm', and he was assured of Cosaria's love. These life changes had him looking and feeling very magnanimous.

On the stage, Cosaria sat in a seat behind him with Marley next to her. Tilda was in the crowd of commoners while Felux stood on stage next to Delrik's throne-like seat. Beniter was kneeling in front of Delrik.

Delrik said, "In all the crisis, there was none so noble as Beniter Attaway. Thus, I have received permission from the king himself to grant him the title of Count. I welcome him, and the entire Attaway family, as members of the gentry."

Delrik gave Beniter a pendant as Beniter bowed deeply. The pendant was the crest of Count Angelo. Since Angelo was... gone... and as he had no inheritors, the king had agreed to give the estate to the Attaways. The Attaways would have to design their own crest as soon as possible, but for now, they had permission to use Angelo's.

While Delrik had considered giving it to Tilda, he didn't really want to. He was still jealous of Tilda and Cosaria's relationship and his petty emotions kept him from being too gracious. Instead, however, he decided Beniter was the next best thing. Give it to the family, just not to her directly. And that suited Tilda just fine. She didn't need a title or land to be happy.

All she needed was freedom and being surrounded by the people she loved.

༻✧༺

Time had passed.

It had been a full year since the time that Tilda had first arrived at the castle and blueberry season was again in full swing. Tilda was visiting her favorite bush with an empty basket.

As she picked blueberries, she thought about all that had happened and all that was happening. Lots of changes in the lives of everyone around her.

While Beniter now held a title, he still trained daily with Felux. All of Tilda's family had moved to Count Angelo's old estate, which was now the Attaway estate. They were adjusting in their new life as 'nobility'. Tilda had the funniest letters from them, describing the odd quirks of their new noble life.

After the whole ordeal, Marley had become much more confident. She helped manage the gate and keep track of those who entered and those who left. She even had a family reunion in the demon realm with all her sisters. She finally found her place.

After everything calmed down, Felux and Tilda had taken a trip around the kingdom. They had visited Finklehead's family, Lady Parferster and even Lady Blueweather and Lady Dorsey, who insisted they go hunting.

Tilda's favorite stop, was at the village where she grew up. The town had moved Anra's grave inside the church graveyard. Malel apologized and immediately coward away when he saw Felux holding Tilda's hand.

They visited Sparrows Glade, and as they stood on the bridge, Felux got down on one knee, and asked Tilda to marry him. She said yes. It was an event too special to share with anyone else.

Felux and Tilda had decided to move to the Central Providences of Galtrum to start their own lives. As she contemplated the future, Tilda wasn't sure when she'd be back to this spot.

Now, with her basket full, Tilda went back to the castle. It was time to say goodbye.

Tilda stood in the grand hall with Marley and Cosaria. Felux waited outside with Delrik.

Tilda said, "Felux was offered the position of Marshal in one of the bigger providences and I'm going to look for a teaching job."

Cosaria said, "You'll be wonderful."

"Thanks."

"And you must visit whenever the chance arises."

"Of course," Tilda said as she hugged Cosaria.

It was strange to think of Cosaria as her 'former' master. Now, they were merely just friends.

Tilda said, "Lady Cosaria, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't believe in you."

Cosaria said, "But you did! Tilda, you've always taken such good care of me."

"That'll all change now."

"And it's all for the best. You deserve to go out and find your own happiness. I'll have Delrik to take care of me."

"Oh?" Tilda said, "Did you two decide to stay together officially?"

"Nothing's been said yet, but I think that we'll continue together. Especially now that I'm pregnant!"

Tilda frowned.

Dumbfounded, Tilda said, "Oh. Uh." She thought, That's the worse addition you could add to an already toxic relationship. She said, "Congratulations. Does Delrik know?"

Cosaria said, "Not yet. I want to know how he feels about children before I tell him."

Tilda's frown deepened.

Tilda glanced at Marley with worried eyes. Marley just smiled and said, "Oh, I'm here for the drama, you know."

Cosaria said, "Drama? What do you mean?"

Tilda patted Cosaria on the head. She said, "It's your life, my dear. You get to have whatever experienced you choose to have."

"Thank you, Tilda." Cosaria hugged Tilda tightly, saying, "I'm going to miss you so much!"

Tilda hugged her back, saying, "You too."

Cosaria said, "Tilda, you've always been the strongest person I know. I'll never be able to thank you enough for everything you've taught me."

Apparently, I didn't teach you enough, Tilda thought. She said, "Good luck, Cosaria. You are strong."

"You think so? I think so too!"

Tilda kissed Cosaria on the forehead and said, "I'll see you later."

༻✧༺

Outside, Delrik was saying goodbye to Felux.

"Separating ways. I never thought this day would come."

Felux said, "Me neither. I thought I'd die defending ye from an assassin or something."

"There's no replacing you."

Felux smiled. He said, "Yer right there. I'm one of a kind."

As Tilda and Cosaria came outside, Felux reached out his hand to Delrik.

Felux said, "Don't die."

"Shut up," Delrik said, grasping the hand while smiling.

Felux then helped Tilda onto her horse. She was a frequent rider now. Felux hopped on his horse and they began riding off. They waved to the group gathered to say good bye.

Faces of friends; Cosaria, Delrik, Beniter, Marley, Morc, Kevler, Fabious, John, Gordana, Bess, Deborah, Nelly and Pamtha. Not sure why Pamtha was there, but she was.

༻✧༺

As they traveled, Felux and Tilda rode side by side.

After a long moment of silence, Felux said, "What'd you say about naming our future kids after Cosaria and Delrik."

"Absolutely not."

Felux laughed. He felt the same way.

༻✦༺

Thanks for reading!

- CopperTopHero

There is ONE MORE chapter after this. Hold on.