Chapter 3: The first date

The team got called to Texas for a case, which was quite a long one. They stayed there for weeks trying to catch a serial killer and it had a toll on all of them. Reid however was nervous for a whole different reason. Morgan and Hotch were discussing something about Jack, which he couldn't really focus on. He sighed and looked out the plane's window, thinking back on the night at the coffee shop.

Reid stood at the front of the shop listening to the chattering in the back. Alison had ran back after Reid warned her about the smell, but he didn't know he was supposed to go back to help her, or if he was even allowed back there. So, he stood there listening to her cursing, using a variety of math expressions. A few moments later she appeared again, her clothes wrinkled and dirtier than before, her hair even messier than usual and her face had some black burnt dust on them. She looked at Reid and smiled apologetically.

"So, I put some leftover muffins in to warm them up. I usually take some home with me, because they land in the trash either way, but I forgot them and now I have a handful of coal instead of chocolate chip muffins. Yumm." She explained seemingly embarrassed.

Reid shrugged and mumbled "Well, that's how everything I cook turns out"

He didn't expect her, but she laughed. "So I guess homemade dinner isn't in for the options for our first date, huh? What are we gonna do?"

"Coffee?" he offered.

"Well, I am kinda sick of coffee, hence I make them every day for hours. How about a movie?"

"I don't really prefer to go to the cinema for a first date. Not that I have much practise in the matter" said Reid.

"Yeah understandable. Not much room for a chat there. Okay, let's see. How about-" she put a finger on her chin, while looking around, deep in thought. Her eyes landed on Reid's bag and her bright smile appeared on her face. "I got it!"

"Are you going to share?" Reid asked after a moment of silence. She gave him a mysterious smirk and shook her head.

"Nope. How about instead you pick me up Friday after my shift and then I will show you. Can't have you figure me out so soon. I am gonna get boring and we wouldn't want that"

"I don't think- You are not boring. At all. And I don't really like surprises..." he offered, hoping she would change her mind.

"Well not much I can do there, sorry. If you could have come up with an idea, we wouldn't be in this situation. Next time be quicker, speed-reader" she winked at him and turned to get her pullover. "So, do we have a deal for Friday?"

Reid thought for a second. He couldn't help but feel disappointed in himself. He really liked Alison, but Maeve has not been long gone. It wasn't really fair to her...

"Hey, you really don't have to. I told you, it's fine if you don't think of me that way" said Alison, clearly seeing the hesitance in Reid's form.

"No, no not at all. It's not that. Friday sounds good." He smiled, trying to be reassuring. Alison gave a small nod. "Alright then. So, I cleaned up and now I have to close the place."

Reid nodded getting the message so he said goodbye with a small wave and stepped outside. He looked back at her through the glass walls of the coffee shop to see her pull the pullover on her making her messy hair a true chaos. He smiled and turned around to get home.
Their Friday night, was however spoiled before the date could even begin because Reid was called in for said case and didn't come back for weeks. He called Alison and explained that a job thing came up and she understood, but made him promise that the moment he got back they were going to make up for it. So he promised.