Chapter 17: Darn Kids

"Oh no, bud! How did that happen?" Kim felt frustrated. They were thousands of miles away from home now. It's not like they can turn around and pick them up before going back to the cabin for a camping trip. She still felt sympathetic towards him, knowing that the trip had already had a rocky start.

"I don't know. Kyle and I were chatting, and I guess I got distracted and forgot to put them in there before I zipped up my bag." Kris felt guilty for being a burden on their trip. First, he had to get changed at the airport. He ended up taking up that nice lady's supplies, even though he didn't want to, and now he had forgotten to pack an essential item.

"Talking with Kyle, huh? Did he do it, or did Kris actually forget? He is pretty forgetful around these kinds of things. He's done it before, but we were only a few hours away from home, and we could send one of us to get them. He does get easily distracted."

"Did you remember to at least pack your pull-ups?" she asked in a hushed tone. Yeah, everyone knew he wore them, but that didn't change the subject's sensitivity.

"Yeah, I put them in last, and they were on top of everything. Dad told me not to forget them, so I was extra sure I got them in there," Kris recalled. He also remembered Kyle calling them diapers, which made him blush slightly. He was actually wearing a diaper this time, and there was no disputing that.

"Good. Well, in that case. We can look at getting you some new undies for tomorrow, but for today, you can either stay in what you're wearing or change into a nighttime pull-up. What do you want to do?" She didn't have too many options to choose from. She knew they could use a grocery delivery service to get some stuff delivered or even take time out of their day to go to a nearby store to get him new underwear, but that would take away from the fun. Which given this was likely going to be a once in a lifetime chance for them, not being able to ever make a trip like this again, she wanted to make sure they got the most out of the trip, leaving Kris with only two options.

Kris sat there momentarily, contemplating his options. He was grateful his mom didn't call his garment; he was wearing a diaper, instead opting to suggest he stay as he was. "Can we not get new underwear sooner?" He really didn't want to walk around all day in a diaper or a pull-up. He knew he was old enough not to need one during the day. The plane was just a fluke accident.

"I'm sorry, bud. It would take too long. We can have them here when we return from exploring later today, but I need to talk with your father first. He'll need to know about the situation." She knew they could likely get something for him, but it would detract from the experience.

"It's just for a few hours, then he'll have underwear again, he can manage." She thought.

Kris felt a pit in his stomach. He knew his dad would need to know, but the thought made him nervous. His Dad was far less understanding than his mom when it came to inconveniences like this. He always would yell when they went camping if one of the kids forgot something. Making them either need to turn back or need to spend money to fix the mistake. This time, it wasn't an easy fix. They were very far away, and he had asked for them back home, so forgetting to pack them, likely felt like a slap to the face.

"What do you need to talk to me about?" Kevin walked out into the living room hearing the conversation as he went to grab another suitcase.

"Kris forgot to pack his underwear," Kim replied nonchalantly. Kris felt his heart skip a beat. He didn't expect his Dad to overhear the conversation, let alone for his Mom, to talk about it so openly.

"Dude, seriously. This happens every time." Kevin let out a frustrated sigh. "Do you know how expensive buying new underwear all the time is? Did you at least remember your pull-ups, or did you forget those too?"