Chapter 26: What Happened?

Roaming through the gift shop, Kris and his mom searched for any pants that might fit him. They checked racks and shelves, but it quickly became clear that all of the pant sizes were meant for either the cute kid's photos or for those who were older. Already an adult. Nothing for the kids around his age. At least, not at this gift shop. Kris felt disappointed; he had hoped to find something to replace his damp pants. Even if it wasn't that noticeable, he didn't want to run the risk, of the potential of smelling like pee. 

"I guess we might have to wait until we get back to the hotel," Kim said, giving Kris a sympathetic smile. "But let's see if we can find something fun while we're here."

As they wandered through the aisles, Kris's attention was caught by a small plush toy. It was a little blue alien that pretended to be a dog, one of his favorite characters. The alien had big, round eyes and a mischievous smile, reminding Kris of the countless times he had watched the animated movie with his family.

"Mom, look!" Kris exclaimed, holding up the plush toy. "Can I get it?"

Kim looked at the toy and then back at Kris, smiling at the genuine excitement in his eyes. "Of course, sweetie. I think it would love to come home with us." She picked up the toy and handed it to Kris, who hugged it tightly.

"Thanks, Mom. This is going to be the best trip ever!" Kris said, his earlier worries completely melted away. He continued to look around the shop, occasionally picking up other small trinkets and showing them to his mom, now caught up in the moment of excitement. Normally, they wouldn't pay the extra cost to get something at a gift shop. The increase in cost, never made sense to them.  

As they continued to browse the gift shop, Kris appeared to be in a much better mood. The excitement of picking out a new toy and spending time with his mom made him forget all about his situation. After a few more minutes of looking around, Kim gently reminded him that they should return to meet the rest of the family.

"Alright, bud, let's go pay for your new friend and head back," she said warmly, holding up the little blue alien plush toy.

Kris nodded eagerly. They went to the cashier, and Kim paid for the toy. Kris could barely contain his excitement as they left the shop. His mom handed him the plush toy as they left. Kris knew he was still being childish by loving the plush so much. But for some reason, he still had a soft spot for them. Even if he thought Sam's were too girly and babyish.

"Thanks again, Mom," Kris said, his voice full of happiness.

"You're welcome, sweetheart. I'm glad you're feeling better," Kim replied, giving him a quick hug. "Now, let's go find everyone else. I think they mentioned something about getting ice cream."

Kris's eyes lit up at the mention of ice cream. Together, they made their way back to the designated meeting spot. As they approached, they saw the rest of the family sitting at a table, waiting patiently. Kyle and Tammi were animatedly chatting about what rides they wanted to ride while Kevin was scrolling through his phone, occasionally looking over to Sam, ensuring she was still sitting next to him watching her cartoon.

"Hey, look who's back!" Kevin called out, spotting Kim and Kris approaching. "Did you guys take care of what you needed to?" His voice clearly hinted to Kim, but none of the kids thought anything of it.

Kris held up his new plush toy with a big grin. "Yeah! Look at what Mom got me!"

The rest of his siblings looked at the toy and smiled. "That's awesome, Kris!" Sam said. "I love that movie!"

Tammi nodded in agreement. "Yeah, it's pretty cute."

Kim joined the family at the table, but before Kris could sit down, Kevin pulled out his wallet and handed Tammi some money. "Can you go get us all ice cream? I'll have a chocolate. Honey, do you want any?" He asked, looking at Kim.