Chapter 3

Everyone was in the mess hall that morning eating breakfast when Kathey announced classes resuming and the griffins taking guard duty. Considering she knew everyone personally, she didn't make it very formal. She warned everyone about traveling outside and finished her announcement.

"Must not be a big deal yet if classes aren't cancelled," someone muttered behind Trevor. He looked back to see a guy sitting by himself. He had black hair and black eyes.

"And who are you?" Trevor asked and the other guy raised an eyebrow.

"Kathey must have not mentioned the Shadow Dragon to you four in the few months you've been here," he said and bowed his head.

"No, she didn't. I guess you're him, then?"

"Indeed I am. Name's Darkness, Darkie for short."

"What's so special about a Shadow Dragon anyway?"

"It's in the name. I can turn into a shadow and hide in shadows."

"That's something interesting." Darkie just shrugged and looked up when Kathey dismissed her kids and the Vul'Gein siblings for class. "See you guys later." Trevor smiled at his siblings before heading out the back door. He checked the skies before going towards the flying arena, turning dragon halfway and looking back to see Marty, Calla, Seabed, and Tyrande, all Anna's kids, heading towards the flight arena as well.

"Hey Tyrande, your mom is letting you start flight lessons?" Trevor asked, he stopped and waited for the small ocean blue and sea green dragon to catch up.

"Yup, she said I'm old enough now to start flying lessons, so I'm starting today," Tyrande beamed.

"Well good for you, do your best out there, alright? I had a hard time flying when I first found out I was a dragon. It's not as easy as it looks." Trevor looked up when the arena came into view and Sonar and Tikimune stood waiting, Sonar as a dragon and Tikimune as a human.

"Well, we have the older kids and the youngest out of them all here with us today," Tikimune said and Sonar smiled.

"And the oldest of the Vul'Gein siblings," he added, not looking at anyone in particular. The blind male only smiled and bowed his head, closing his eyes.

"Alright! All of you line up on the track!" Tikimune commanded and she climbed up onto Sonar's back. She pulled her blond hair back into a ponytail, the blue part of her hair left out of the tie.

"Listen up! We're going to go a few laps around the ring," Sonar snapped and he moved in front of the students and opened his wings. The others opened their wings and they all took off, all but Tyrande.

Trevor made a lap around and saw Tyrande having a hard time getting off the ground. He landed and nudged the little dragon with his snout.

"What's wrong? Can't get off the ground?" Trevor asked and Tyrande looked back at the older dragon and sighed. He plopped down and sniffled. "Hey, hey. It's ok, open your wings." Tyrande looked back at Trevor before standing and opening his wings. Trevor put a clawed foot under Tyrande and took off.

"Woah!" Tyrande exclaimed.

"Flap those wings!" Trevor laughed and Tyrande laughed with him. It didn't take long until Tyrande was flying just over Trevor and the two were full of smiles. A shadow passed over the two of them and Trevor looked back to see a hunter on a dragon, aiming an arrow right at Tyrande. "Tyrande look out!" Trevor said quickly and he flipped over, grabbed the fledgling, flipped back over just as the arrow was embedded in his scales. Other hunters appeared and bombarded Trevor with arrows.

"Tyrande! Lavitz!" Tikimune cried and the hunters were gone. Trevor fell to the ground, sliding to a stop on his side and looking at Tyrande, who escaped from his grasp.