Chapter 10 : A Heart That Knows

Tom goes to bar and drinks heavily once again, drowning his sorrows and pain at a local bar. But this time, after getting quite drunk, a thought comes into his head : What if I reached out to Lily ? What if I really am being too hard on her and this is a misunderstanding? What if I do need her help ? The doubt starts to creep in deeper and deeper as the alcohol works on his brain, prompting the decision in his mind. As he leaves the bar, Tom accidentally stumbles into Lily's ex, the one who beat him up all the time.

"Watch where ya goin' ratsbane ! Looks like you had a bit too much to drink huh

"Watch where ya goin' ratsbane ! Looks like you had a bit too much to drink huh....", the ex sneered at Tom, getting ready for another fight.
Tom's face flushes red with anger as his mind begins to drift, and his memories of the party and college come flooding back to him, "What's it to you ?", Tom asks back through a drunken voice, trying to hold onto some sense and remain standing. The doubt and guilt was starting to consume him more than ever, causing him to rethink his original decision to cut off Lily completely.
"It's fun to watch you be all sad and miserable knowing you brought it on yourself....", The ex replied back smugly, his tone filled with hostility and spite, enjoying seeing how much Tom was hurting.
"Get lost you hag....it's none of your business....", Tom slurred his words yelling at the top of his lungs.
"Awww....someone's grumpy—", The ex steps back with a smirk being cut off when Tom throws a punch at him. Tom narrowly missies as his drunken punch is off target and slow, leaving the ex enough time to dodge out of the way easily.
"Hahaha ! Man, your punch is just like how slow your mind is....it'll be night before you actually do something....", he taunts, laughing and mocking him with his words. The ex smirks as he calls over his friend group to get a load of this scene Tom is making. They all laugh, seeming excited for an opportunity to torment and mock Tom as he tries to fight them off. Tom feels himself growing more and more scared and vulnerable. The air becoming hard to breather, space becoming harder to find, his heart beating out of his chest, and with each look his eye's blurring more. Entertainment at circus. He felt surrounded by strangers that pointed and laughed. His drunken mind struggling so much to keep up with what the situation really is. Tom is thrown to the ground by someone from the group of guys and is now helpless in their circle like a cage, as they take this opportunity to beat him up. Tom is unable to do much as he fights from the ground but his efforts are in vain. No one around to help him. No bartenders. No civilian in place. Just him alone to defend himself. On lookers watch in horror unsure of what to do. If the world cared enough to help and save people instead of caring for themselves just maybe or be monsters themselves, this would all stop. A lending hand would help him out this situation.
"Look at this loser.....he can't even stand up straight", one of the guys taunted, as they continued their attack on Tom. His drunken state was providing them with the perfect opportunity, making him a helpless target as they easily took turns throwing punches.
"That's what you get for acting so tough earlier, huh ?", another laughed landing a kick to his gut as another threw a punch to his face.
"Please...stop...", Tom pleaded and cried, too weak to defend himself anymore.
Lily's ex threw a hard punch at Tom's face and laughs at his weakness, "Have a nice sleep you pathetic loser...."
He and his friends quickly leave him on the ground, Tom feeling more ashamed and pathetic than ever before. Motionless. Numb. "Lily...." He cried terribly wanting his best friend. Regret filled his mind pushing her away. After trying his best to recover from the beating, Tom begins to slowly get to his feet, navigating his way out the bar. As he does, he begins to make his way to Lily's house, determined no matter what to see her, touch her and talk to her. After a while of walking Tom arrives at Lily's house, feeling his drunkenness start to overwhelm him as the threat of unconsciousness becomes more imminent. He tries his best to stand up straight and compose himself before knocking on her door, but the combination of all the stress and trauma he just experienced he collapses on her pathway.
"Hey Clara, Im ready to go look for Tom I'm sorry it took me so long to chang—Tom !", Lily's eyes widen realizing the noise she heard wasn't Clara, rushing to his side, Tom lay looking lifeless and weak.
From pulling up in her car, Clara also rushed to Tom's side, her eyes filled with worry and concern for the state of her friend. As he slowly recovers and comes to his senses, Tom feels himself waking up, his head light and hard for him to even focus his vision at the moment. As his vision slowly steadies, he is about to make out the figures and voices around him. He hears Lily's concern and Clara's worry as they both looking over him by his side. Tom bursts into tears in Lily's arms as he begins to breakdown, all the emotions and stress he just experienced overwhelming him all at once.