𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐧𝐝?

[At the end of the year feast]

The Great Hall was already full. It was decked out in the Slytherin colors of green and silver to celebrate Slytherin's winning the house cup for the seventh year in a row.

A huge banner showing the Slytherin serpent covering the wall behind the High Table.

"You sure you don't want to sit with the Slytherins?" Jade asked. "I mean, the whole hall is decked out to celebrate your house." Val nodded, sincerely.

"I don't want Malfoy rambling about how better we are than 'PoTeH'. At this point, I might start calling Harry 'PoTeH' as well." At that moment Harry walked in.

There was a sudden hush, and then everybody started talking loudly at once. He slipped into a seat between Ron and Hermione at the Gryffindor table.

"Speaking of..." mumbled Valeria. Dumbledore arrived moments later, the babble died away.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts...."

"Now, as I understand it, the house cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy- two."

A storm of cheering and stamping broke out from the Slytherin table.

"Yes, Yes, well done, Slytherin," said Dumbledore. "However, recent events must be taken into account."

The room went very still. The Slytherins' smiles faded a little.

"Ahem, I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes... First- to Miss.Valria C- Curulian...for applying knowledge of Devils Snare to save others from harm, I award ten points to Slytherin house"

More cheering from the Slytherin's table was heard as Jade nudged Val, only to get a nudge back.

"Second- to Miss. Jade Sanchez... for giving the youngest seeker of the century a run for his money"

Jade's face got a little red with embarrassment.

"I award twenty points to Hufflepuff House."

The Hufflepuff table became cheerful as some congratulated her for good flying.

"Third- to Mr. Ronald Weasley....for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

Gryffindor's cheers nearly raised the bewitched ceiling; the stars overhead seemed to quiver.

Percy could be heard telling the other prefects, "My brother, you know! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall's giant chess set". At last, there was silence again.

"Fourth- to Miss Hermione Granger... for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

Hermione buried her face in her arms,

"Fifth- to Mr. Harry Potter..."

The room went deadly quiet

"For pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House sixty points."

Slytherin was only ten points ahead. Dumbledore raised his hand. The room gradually fell silent.

"There are all kinds of courage," Dumbledore smiled. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I, therefore, award twenty points to Mr. Neville Longbottom."