경이로운 소문 ── EPISODE TEN

Mun's eyes filled with tears as he looked at Wi-gen, his hand tightening on Yang's. The other Counters looked between themselves as Wi-gen walked closer.

"Based on my observations," Wi-gen said, "I've concluded that he does not qualify to work as a Counter."

"Wi-gen..." Yang trailed off, not knowing what he was trying to say.

"What? He's not qualified?" Mae-ok repeated.

"Why?" Mo-tak demanded as the Counters walked closer to Mun and Yang. "Why would you say that? What are you saying?"

"Silence." The Inspector called, everyone stopping talking almost immediately. "This isn't a place to argue."

"Tell me why I should be dismissed," Mun said, stepping forward as he refused to let go of Yang's hand.

Wi-gen turned away to face the Inspector. "He has difficulty controlling his emotions, so we had to reevaluate his qualifications as a Counter."

"I took time to reflect on what I did and I deeply regret it," Mun defended himself.

Wi-gen looked at him. "You were able to keep your job as a Counter thanks to Ms Chu." She walked closer to him. "But you haven't changed at all."

They replayed Wi-gen telling Mun to wait for the others before going after Cheong-sin, Yang's pleading voice making an appearance as he tugged on Mun's jacket. It showed him beating up Cheong-sin and him and Yang getting thrown by the invisible force created by Cheong-sin's voice. Yang looked down, his hand ghosting over his wrist.

"He failed to control his emotions and endangered his and Su-jin's lives, as well as Yung," Wi-gen elaborated.

They showed Yang getting stabbed through the wrist before Cheong-sin could stab Mun, the Australian having to look away as he was shown collapsing to the side and fading in and out of consciousness. Ha-na and Mae-ok rushed to his side, reassuring him that he would be okay. They showed Chaewon collapsed on the floor of Yung, with Wi-gen flickering in and out of sight near her.

Gi-ran stood up. "Things like this never happened before he and Su-jin joined us. Respect for each other's lives and a sense of partnership were the basis of our relationship."

"All right," Mo-tak said. "Okay, Gi-ran. We'll be more careful from now on."

She looked at him before turning around to address the Inspector. "I agree that Mun should be stripped of his rights as a Counter."

Yang scoffed, looking at Chaewon in annoyance. Chaewon didn't look back at him.

Chaewon stood up. "I agree. Su-jin, and in turn, my life, has been endangered many times because of So Mun." Yang's face dropped as he stared at Chaewon in disbelief, scoffing as he felt betrayal sting his heart.

"Had he waited for his teammates and not forced Su-jin to fight with him, we wouldn't have lost Ji Cheong-sin, and Su-jin wouldn't have nearly lost his life," Wi-gen said. Yang looked away and Mun let go of his hand. "Since we kept losing our targets, evil spirits had chances to learn enough about Counters."

They played the moment when Cheong-sin became aware of their territory. Yang's eyes watered as he looked at Mun, before looking back down and sniffling.

"That evil spirit..." Wi-gen continued, "now knows how to avoid Yung's territories."

"That bastard killed his parents," Mae-ok defended Mun. "I'm older, but I would've had a hard time staying calm and collected as well. Think of how he must've felt at that moment. Can you try putting yourself in his shoes? He's really trying to put his emotions in check. You see, Mun is.. He's really trying his best."