13 # Progress

"Wait what? I just told you and even showed you the extent of this power and you straight up ask me if I can do it to you? What in the hell for, why would I do that?" Samuel was completely taken aback by Leon's question.

"Look man, you entrusted this information to me and I want in. I'm pragmatic and want to make myself useful. I trust you, but I want to make damn sure you trust me too."

Leon looked like he really wanted this, which was weird to say the least.

"I don't need to fucking... enslave you, as insurance to trust you man. That's not necessary at all!" Samuel was talking a bit louder than he should, but he wasn't audible to anybody else luckily.

"That's where the second reason comes into play. You changed her personality man, what if you can change mine? Now obviously I don't want you to turn me into somebody completely different but you have the potential to be the most successful psychiatrist that has ever existed for me. You can help me talk to women for one. Who knows what you can do with this?" Leon got more excited by the second.

He was right. This alone ticked several of Samuel's questions that were still lingering in his mind. It was a safe way to test if it worked on men as well as a good way to test if it had the ability to cure mental illnesses although he had a sneaking suspicion that it would. And he had thought about using it on himself for the same reasons more or less. He wanted to be calmer and more thoughtful in a lot of situations in the past which this would have given him ample opportunity to be.

Leon, as always, was pulling his weight immediately after learning something here. And Samuel couldn't be more grateful. "Okay, but I swear in honesty that I won't change a thing that you don't ask for."

"Tomorrow your configuration material will be obsidian." A voice added.

Samuel barely wondered what this would mean. It was obvious it had something to do with the current situation and given he had just sworn that he wouldn't betray his friend it was easy to deduct that an obsidian embedding was probably going to keep him to that promise.

"Close. The obsidian embedding will allow the wearer to be aware of changes to their personality and psyche if they request that information. It will also allow them to see their own statistics and change them according to limits you set." A first time clear and concise explanation.

"You have not needed to pay the embeddings much thought. To simplify their significance, opaque or translucent materials are very weak but allow the wearer certain benefits. That makes them only interesting in situations like these. Transparent embeddings are much stronger and each different material is suited to an existing personality of the wearer."

Samuel was happy with the sudden openness in information sharing, but he had mostly forgotten what the embeddings had been as of yet. He expected them to be random unless he had already decided on whom to use his next bracelet. In this case, tomorrow's bracelet was reserved for Leon.

This time would be the first time the embedding wasn't a gemstone either. Obsidian was a material very glassy in nature but it made him wonder if any material could be an embedding. He was going to have to revisit the embeddings he had already seen and what their influences might have been.

Leon stared at him, giving Samuel his moment which he sure looked like he needed right now.

"I think I can help you stay aware of everything as well." Samuel finally said.

"With the hypnosis you mean? Will it even work on me if I know you're doing it actually?" Leon asked, which would be a good question if that was how it worked at all.

"It's not hypnosis, it's something better. But you'll have to wait 'till tomorrow unfortunately, I can't do it today." Samuel replied in a more pragmatic tone.