Chapter 261: Peace

[change Noshi to Gnosi]

"Block it! Head straight to Shelter 3!"

"We're launching lure fireworks! 3, 2, 1!"

A firework shot up from the defense barrier. Despite the loud noise and the flash of mana, the monster merely glanced at it without changing direction. An SS-class monster, a blue serpent with venom. A monster with potent poison was more threatening to the city than any other. If the venom were to seep into the ground with shelters, it would be difficult to protect even with barriers. The venom that shelters could handle was up to A-class at most.

Eventually, the S-class guards of Sollemnis stood in front of the monster. The serpent widened its green eyes and flicked its tongue. The confrontation on both sides was short-lived. The serpent's body shot out in an instant, breaking the road long. Guards scattered like a flock of sparrows attacked by hawks in the spurting venom. Although skilled attacks were poured out towards the monster, there was no fatal blow. However, it was enough to provoke the monster's nature.

"Dammit!"

The serpent's eyes locked onto the man who had stripped off his scales among the guards. The S-class guard of Solremnis began to run towards the outskirts of the city, gnashing his teeth.

"It's coiling around! Assist!"

Auxiliary skills wrapped around the pursuing guard. Shots continued to delay the serpent's charge, and bombs exploded. Breaking buildings and smashing the road, the monster quickly crawled towards its target.

Without Sigma, hunting an SS-class monster was difficult now. It wasn't impossible, but it would consume manpower and resources severely. It was best to lure it far away from the city.

Thump, rumble, the serpent thrashed fiercely, elusive prey. As it writhed on the ground, it suddenly shrunk its body, then sprang up high like a spring.

"Kirk!"

In the blink of an eye, the serpent streaked through the air, leaping over the guard who was being chased. It stood in front of him, blocking his path. Before the guard could change direction, the serpent's long body coiled around him like a wall.

"Damn it!"

Surrounded by solid scales and facing the venomous head if he jumped up, there was no way to escape. As the S-class guard used a futile defense skill, he awaited his last moment.

"Keek!"

The monster's scream echoed. Then, a sound of tearing flesh and bones spread through the air. The S-class guard raised his head. In his eyes was a red-furred monster firmly gripping the serpent's head.

"...What, what is this?"

With golden horns and golden-tinted mane, the beast snarled while holding the serpent's neck with its front paw. Venom splattered everywhere, but it couldn't touch the monster due to the flames swirling around it.

Before long, the serpent's struggling ceased. In silence, the red monster looked down at the S-class guard. Despite being strong against fire and venom, he was the one who swiftly dealt with an SS-class monster. Naturally, it must have been an SS-class monster of the same level.

Should he run? No, would he be able to run? The guard hesitated as the monster approached him, its size suddenly shrinking.

"...Huh."

The once giant figure shrank to a tiny size in an instant. Its triangular ears pricked up, and its fluffy tail swayed. The monster, now the size of a medium-sized dog, made the S-class guard blink. It seemed inadvertently cute.