12. You Don't Know Him

"A house burger and an egg salad," Jaren said to Penny as he entered the kitchen.

"Got it, thanks." She looked up at him and sighed. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, just counting down the minutes to when we can leave."

She laughed. "You and me both. The order will be done in a few."

"Cool."

Jaren checked it off his notepad and put his pen behind his ear. It was almost the end of his shift on Tuesday and he was drained. Penny had noticed something was wrong but he didn't particularly want to bring it up with her. He didn't know what was going on himself. He just couldn't stop his mind from drifting to John, wondering what the boy was doing now.

He hadn't texted Jaren again on Sunday night, or Monday or even all day today. Jaren hadn't expected him to give up so easily and it hurt to know that he didn't mean anything. This whole situation was mind-boggling. Everything had been amazing one minute and the next it had done a 180.

The counter bell rang, reminding him he still had twenty minutes of his shift to go. He plastered a smile on his face and made his way back to the counter.

"Welcome to Benson's, what can I-" He stopped abruptly when he realised who was standing on the other side.

"Hi." John had a hopeful smile on his face.

Jaren gritted his teeth. Why was he here?

"I really need to talk to you, face to face."

"Now you want to talk?" He didn't try to hide his distaste.

"Please, Ren. Hear me out."

"Jaren, for the last time, the order's ready," Penny grumbled as she appeared beside him. "Oh, hi John. Here to pester Jaren?"

"I just need to talk to him, if that's okay."

She glanced at Jaren. "Yeah, it's fine. You can leave a little early, kid."

John jerked his head to the exit, inviting Jaren to follow. He didn't think it was a good idea to but part of him wanted to hear what John had to say.

He took off his apron and stepped out of the café into the chilly air. John was waiting for him with his hands buried in his jacket pockets.

"What do you want?" He stopped a few feet from him.

"Just to talk, like I said. You deserve an explanation."

Jaren just stared at him, deciphering if this was sincere. He nodded once.

"Okay..," John sighed, rubbing his hands together.

The back door swung open and Tom walked out with a cigarette between his lips. He surveyed the two boys and leaned against the wall, lighting his cigarette.

"Can we go someplace else?" John asked. He gestured to his car, which was parked a few spaces down.

Jaren walked towards it in place of an answer and John followed swiftly and let them both in. They drove silently, the radio playing soft music that failed to soothe his racing mind.

What could John possibly have to say?

They arrived at the hill and John killed the engine before getting out wordlessly, leaving Jaren inside. He took a deep breath and made his way to the bed of the truck.

He sat and hugged his knees to his chest, the chilliness getting to him. They sat in silence for a little while, but it wasn't their normal comfortable silence. It was thick with uncertainty.