Chapter Twelve. [S2]

~~~~

Not shy of a spark..
The knife twists at the thought that I should fall short of the mark...
Frightened by the bite, though it's no harsher than the bark...
The middle of adventure, such a perfect place to start..

~~~~

Rory~

Rory~

THE rain poured down in a relentless torrent, soaking through my clothes and plastering my hair against my skin as I made my way back home. As I trudged through the rain-soaked streets, I made a conscious effort to push thoughts of Rafe Cameron from my mind. The memory of our encounter in the cemetery lingered like a bitter taste on my tongue, but I refused to let it consume me any longer. 

Every step felt heavier than the last, weighed down by the memories and emotions that threatened to overwhelm me. I finally reached the sanctuary of my small, humble abode, I felt a sense of relief wash over me. Here, surrounded by the comforting familiarity of my own space, I could finally begin to piece together the shattered fragments of my shattered heart. But as I approached the back porch, I saw him standing there, waiting for me with open arms.

JJ.

My anchor in the storm, the one who always knew how to calm the turbulent waters of my soul. Without a second thought, I quickened my pace, my heart pounding in my chest as I closed the distance between us. And then, as I reached him, he was there, his arms open wide to welcome me into his embrace. 

I ran into his embrace, I didn't hesitate as I threw myself into his arms, my legs instinctively wrapping around his waist as he caught me securely, holding me close against his chest, his arms strong and steady around me. I buried my face in the crook of his neck, inhaling the familiar scent of his cologne mingled with the earthy aroma of the rain.

"Rory," he whispered against my hair, his voice a soothing balm to my frayed nerves. "I've been so worried about you."

I hugged him tightly, burying my face in the crook of his neck as if seeking refuge from the chaos that raged within me. 

"Hey there, baby," JJ murmured, his voice soft and tender as he pressed a gentle kiss to the top of my head.

"Hey," I whispered back, my voice barely a breath against his skin. And then, without hesitation, I pressed my lips to his as I leaned up and captured his lips with mine, pouring every ounce of love and affection I had into the kiss, a desperate attempt to erase the memories of Rafe and the turmoil he had brought into my life.

As our lips met, the rain poured down around us, washing away the remnants of doubt and fear that lingered in the shadows. It was a kiss filled with love and reassurance, a silent promise of forever that transcended words. The rain continued to fall around us, a symphony of sound as it drummed against the ground, but in that moment, it was as if we were the only two people in the world.