Chapter One

^^^Sort of what I had in mind for Nyx's bedroom^^^

"Nyx! C'mon, we've got to go! We were supposed to be out of here fifteen minutes ago!" Jenna called from upstairs.

"One sec!" I called back.

I took one good long last look at my old room and I ran upstairs. "Jackie and Joby are already in the car," Jenna smiled at me as I came up the stairs.

"Okay, well lets get moving then,"I smiled back.

When I got into the car Jackie and Joby were already asking to listen to the 'Frozen' soundtrack. I put in my headphones and looked out the window, and Jenna backed out of the driveway. 

My name was Nyx Shadoworth, and I was no normal child. At the age of twelve I started to discover powers I never knew I had. Telekinesis was the first power I learned I had, learning to turn into a shadow was the next ability I learned. My hair was black as oil and my skin paper white. My eyes were a dark grey and I honestly looked like something out of a black and white photo. 

I was abandoned as a child and was put in a foster home. Jenna adopted me when I was two and I've grown up with her ever since. She had the twins, Jackie and Joby, a few years after I was born. Jenna was a Texas brunette that moved to California when she was eighteen. She had a freckled face and deep brown eyes. She was no doubt beautiful and the nicest lady I've ever met. Jenna was a painter and very adaptable to any setting. 

Jackie was seven like Joby and she had brown hair like Jenna with freckles like Jenna too. She had green eyes like her father, which was some guy not worth mentioning, and a soft kind voice with graceful movements. She was a smart and quiet child, she always has been.

Joby was a brunette too but he had brown eyes like Jenna, he didn't have any freckles like Jackie though. He was the opposite of Jackie, he was clumsy and loud, he wasn't the brightest crayon in the box either.

So yes I totally stood out within our family, but at the same time I had a trait from each member of our family. I was clumsy like Joby, I was smart like Jackie, and I was adaptable like Jenna. 

Jenna was a lawyer, a very rich lawyer at that, and she got a great offer to work in Seattle. She took it too. So that's why we were moving from California to Seattle, a great switch if you ask me. I'd prefer rain over sun any day, there was just something about rain and dark clouds that was so comforting. 

"Nyx!" Jenna said waving her hand in my face.

I blinked and took out one of my headphones. "So are you excited?" she asked smiling at me.

"Yeah," I said smiling back.

"It's the perfect neighborhood, there's a park down the street for the twins and the skate park is close by as well," she said practically bouncing in her seat.

"That's awesome," I said looking back to the window.

That's another thing about me, I was a skater girl. I started skating around the same time I got my powers, so about four years of skating. "I know right! And you should see the landscaping, there is trees on each side of the road and it makes this beautiful canopy above, it's absolutely to die for," she said, the smile in her voice clear as a bell.

"I bet," I murmured.

She kept talking but I put a headphone in and drifted off to sleep. I was too tired to talk. 

"We're here!" Jenna screamed, jolting me awake.

I looked over at her and she was smiling like the sun. I sat up and looked out the window. "C'mon! Lets look inside!" Jenna said jumping out of the car.

I hopped out and the twins were already behind Jenna. Jenna quickly unlocked the door and ran inside, the twins right behind her. I followed up slower than them and studied the house. It was a light grey and bushes grew out in front of the porch. There was a great white oak in the newly moved lawn and a garage showed up the drive. I walked up to the porch where I saw where Jenna would buy rocking chairs to put there. The door was deep brown and had a designer glass middle.

I opened the door and it led right into a place where the staircase was slightly to the left. I took a few steps forward and to the right was a doorway that led to the living area that had a fireplace and to the left was a dining room. I walked straight down the hallway where in the wall to the right was a bathroom. I kept walking on to the kitchen where there was tons of cabinet space and an island in the middle. To the left was a small space where the backdoor was on the far wall and if you turned you could see into the dining room. 

I went back and went upstairs. At the top of the stairs there was a bedroom to the left, a bathroom in the middle, and a bedroom to the right. If you walked to the right and around the rail there was another bedroom on the left and it was obviously going to be Jenna's room. There was a balcony if you kept walking forward and an attic door to the right. 

"I thought the attic could be your room, it's beautiful," Jenna said coming up behind me.

I went up into the attic and found the room was triangular but there were windows on either side and I saw my queen bed to the left and my desk to the right. There was no closet but I had a dresser anyway where I could see in the far wall. "There's a bathroom here too! It's like secret," Jenna said smiling opening a door that was to the right and I hadn't seen.

It was a small bathroom but had a bath/shower and a sink with toilet. "It's perfect," I said smiling.

I imagined putting lights around the room and I knew, 

this was the perfect house.