Chapter 8: A New Monster & Old Knight

The Cyclops island was nothing like how I would have imagined. It has a rope bridge across a chasm. Not a good sign... However, you could feel the magic radiate through the air from the Golden Fleece. "If we take it away, will the island die?" Percy questioned. 

"I think it'll fade. Go back to what it would be normally. Whatever that looked like," Annabeth answered. I felt sort of bad about that. It was quite a beautiful place. Minus the Cyclops on it. Besides, if we weren't on this quest then Percy would still have his brother. Besides, my sister's tree needed it. I lost her once. I can't lose her again. 

"This looks too easy. We just hike up there and grab it?" I questioned. "I thought there was something guarding it..."

"There is supposed to be something. A guardian or a dragon or..."

A deer emerged from the bushes. It trotted to the meadow. When suddenly all the sheep bleeted at once and rushed to the animal. It all happened so fast. The deer stumbled and was lost in a sea of wool and hooves being tramped. 

Then the sheep all moved away like they didn't just eat a whole deer. Leaving clean white bones in its place. 

"Oh bloody hell," Annabeth cursed. 

"They little sheep demons," I commented. 

"Piranhas with wool. How will we-" Percy was cut off. I nudged Annabeth to look in the distance. "Percy, look!" She pointed. 

Below the sheep meadow. A small lifeboat from the CSS Birmingham. "Clarisse!" I grinned. She made it here. Annabeth suggested that she wear her cap but I disagreed. It was way too dangerous for her to go grab the Fleece invisible. The sheep could smell her and if not there has to be more than just demon sheep. 

We all started to row a lifeboat to the edge of the rocks after hiding our ship on the back of the island. We almost died ten times but we made it. Annabeth went first cause she was a better climber and could calculate faster than I could. I went after her because Percy wanted to make sure I wouldn't fall. This was ironic because at some point he lost his grip and dangled by the ledge. Fifty feet above a rocky surf. I ended up helping him out. That's where we switched. He was climbing second and I was behind him. Annabeth nearly slipped. Her foot was able to find a place but unfortunately for Percy that was his face. "Sorry!" She apologized profusely. 

"It's okay," He grunted. You could tell he wasn't too happy about it but it wasn't Annabeth's fault. At least she didn't fall. 

We all fell down to the ground at the top of the cliff. We had made it. Now I wanted to sleep for eternity. I wish I had slept like Annabeth earlier. 

"Garrrr!" A voice bellowed. I sat up quickly. That wasn't one of us. Annabeth quickly covered Percy's mouth and I put a finger over my lips to signal to be silent. The ledge we were sitting on was narrow. It dropped off on the other side. Where the voice was appearing from. 

"You're a feisty one!" 

My face gave a 'the fuck' look. We moved over and carefully looked down. 

"Challenge me!" Clarrise's voice. I couldn't mistake her anywhere. "Give me back my sword and I'll fight you!"

The monster roared with laughter. 

There was Polyphemus and Grover in a wedding dress. Oh my lanta...

Clarisse was tied up. Hanging upside down over a pot of boiling water. Dread filled my body. "Hmmm," Polyphemus pondered. "Eat loudmouth girl now. Or wait for wedding feast? What does my bride think?"

He turned to Grover, who backed up and almost tripped over his completed bridal train. "Did you say bride?" Clarisse demanded. "Who...Grover?" 

I let out a shaky breath. Annabeth was muttering for her to shut up.