Four

"You should get her.", with a grunt, your father rose from the stone, stretched and let out a deep breath.

A few minutes had passed, perhaps even an entire hour. You weren't able to tell exactly but the weather had shifted. The pleasantly warm breeze was no more and instead rain was about to fall.

Clouds had turned from an ashy blue into a deep grey. Every now and then thunder could be heard. But no lightning had struck yet.

Goosebumps crawled up your arms.

"She'll be fine on her own.", you grabbed the straps of the backpack.

Once more you found your eyes wandering down to the beach.

The woman was still sitting in the water. She trembled all over, her head lowered and shoulders tense. One of her hands clutched the other while the water around her was still red.

She must have been seriously injured.

Again, she bend over to feel for something in the water but failed to find it and screamed in frustration instead. It was then that you noticed she was missing her knife. The shiny metal hadn't lit up in the sun for a while.

"What a shame...", you sighed to yourself.

"(Y/N).", your father placed a hand on your shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze and a smile.

"We don't need more mouths to feed.", you tried to argue against it even though it made you feel worse of a person you wanted to be.

"She's lost. In need of... someone.", his eyes locked with yours.

For a brief moment you just stared at him. The beating of your heart echoed inside your ears, mixed with the waves. A decision had to be made. And even though you did not feel like playing the saint you moved towards the edge of the dune anyways.

"Only for a time.", you said before sliding down the edge to get to the beach faster. "Don't wait for us. I'll find you!"

Satisfied and a little proud he nodded, picked up the backpack and headed for the woods that weren't far. If you hurried he wouldn't be able to make it further than the other side, far enough away from the property but not too far to get himself into danger.

Sand gave in as you took a step towards the shore. Crosses towered before your eyes. Corpses looked down on you, eyes empty, their skin wrinkled like old paper.

Some were old, some way too young. Some looked like they could have been saved mere hours ago and others seemed to be tied up for months now.

All of a sudden an unbearable wave of guilt washed over you.

Why had you made it and all of these people didn't?

It wasn't just that you hadn't been caught. You knew that some of those people had been punished for very small things such as disagreeing with their capturers.

It wasn't fair.

But really when was life ever fair?

"Probably never...", you muttered to yourself as you made your way through the rows of crosses.

The stench of flesh and sweat was in the air. Only the salt of the sea made it bearable.

Sand crawled into your shoes, making every step more itchy and unpleasant than the next one. You could feel how the temperature shifted the closer you got to the water.

Her silhouette appeared in the dim light of the day. She was sobbing. Or rather fighting back tears.

"How depressing...", you muttered to yourself with a smile, loud enough for her to know that you were there.

She didn't turn to look at you but her head flinched, indicating that she took note of your presence.

Silence answered. Just like the waves did.

A shiver chased through your body as you set foot into the water. It was cold, so much so that you wondered how she had managed to sit there for the past hour or so.

"Hey...", it surprised yourself how soft your voice was as you bend down to be closer to her.

Her hair was short, something you hadn't paid any attention to the first time you had met. And it was brown, a deep rich auburn colour.

Somehow that made you think she was quite pretty. But just as malnourished as you.

"My name's..."

"Go away.", her voice was a bit raspy, probably because she hadn't had any water in a few hours.

To be safe you took a step back and fished for a water bottle that you kept strapped to your belt.

"Thirsty?", you held the bottle into her field of vision.

She glanced at it from the corner of her eyes before turning her gaze straight ahead again.

"Go away.", she repeated.

You sighed and took a sip yourself. The water around your feet was now drenched in red so you assumed she was still bleeding.

"You look like you could use some help.", you tried again.

"I don't want any help!", for the first time she turned to look up at you, her eyebrows drawn together.

She had freckles. Cute.

"I didn't even want to help you.", you couldn't help but smile, fondly remembering another person who her freckles reminded you of.

"Then why won't you leave?", she turned, still sitting in the water, causing small waves to form around her body.

She wore a thin tank top that was drenched, not only with saltwater but also with blood. It was unclear if it was hers or somebody else's but the way she moved gave away that she was, in fact, injured.

With your hands raised you took a step back. The smile wouldn't die down. She reminded you a whole lot of her, stubborn, rather biting a hand than taking it.

You knew there was no way to convince her.

So why not push her over the edge to force her to come with you?

There was no place for nice people. So you had no reason to be nice either.

"I want no fight.", you said and noticed how thin trails of blood ran down her side.

"Then fuck off!", she hissed, eyes narrowed.

She took a step towards you like a cat that hissed in warning. And the next moment her eyes rolled back and she fell to the ground, passed out.

"Huh...", you eyed her. "I hope you're as light as you look... I'm not in my best form right now..."