Kingdom (Continuation to Swords)

"He's dead."

"You're sure?"

"I watched him die," Jungkook holds his deep bow. "Buried him in a shallow grave. The thief is gone. You're safe, You Majesty."

"It took you long enough," The king criticizes. "But thank you, Captain. You've done well."

This was the first time Jungkook realized how cold the king's tone was. He thought it was professionalism. Only now he realizes how wrong he was. Perhaps...perhaps this man truly was evil.

"I'd do anything to protect you, Your Majesty," He rises. "I will take his measly sword as a trophy. No thief will dare show their face in these grounds again."

"I would like to hope not," He looks down at Jungkook. "You are dismissed, Captain."

With one last bow, Jungkook leaves the throne room, a deep frown on his face.

The thief from last night changed his life.

*

"We're almost at the village, Captain."

"Thank you, Taehyung," Jungkook nods once at his second in command. "Namjoon, how are you faring?"

"Perfectly fine," The palace's head advisor smiles. "We still have another town after this. I'll rest there."

"The inn is supposed to be very nice there," Jungkook assures.

"I don't need luxury," Namjoon laughs. "It's just for a night, anyways."

"You're a respectable man, Kim Namjoon," Jungkook smiles, before guiding his horse to the front of the pack.

He leads the group—consisting of advisors and soldiers—to the nearby village. Cheonju was a small place located near Umak river—the longest river running through Norewang. If one didn't make any stops, they could get from the palace to Cheonju by foot in half a day, less on horse. However, Jungkook and the rest of the palace staff were on their third day of travel, having started their journey heading Southeast, down to the southern most cities, and back up, hitting the most important western towns on their journey back.

They should make it home tomorrow. Jungkook was growing weary from his journey escorting the royal advisors through the country. The sooner he got home, the better.

The group made their way into the village, and the residents stared. Most of them wore the simple clothes of commoners. Jungkook tried to meet their gazes. After all, he was like them once. He knows how often people in power treat lower classes less than scum.

Because what could ever come from the son of a concubine?

The captain of the guard continues to meet them all with kind eyes, occasionally nodding. He hopes they can read his intentions. He hopes they're doing okay.

Then he meets an extremely familiar set of eyes.

Jungkook gasps a breathy gasp.

Jimin dashes away. Almost as quickly, Jungkook dismounts his steed. "Taehyung, take my horse." He starts running. "I'll be back soon!"

He runs in the direction he watched Jimin go. From the corner of his eye, he sees Jimin round a corner, so he pursues. He forgot how nimble this former thief was.

With a burst of energy, he sprints forward on a long stretch of road. He grabs Jimin's wrist, and the thief gasps. He tries to struggle away from Jungkook in a panic.

"Hey! Hey, it's just me," Jungkook tries to soothe. "There's no one else, Jimin. I just wanted to see you."

Jimin stops struggling, but he doesn't make eye contact with the guard.