Invitation

The dark halls illuminate with bright lights, the loud metallic sounds overlapping at once, the loud screeching piercing my ears and when I look up I see inmates running the halls...W-What is this?

My entire body cringes at the sound and when my vision focuses just for a second only one thought wanders through my mind "Is this a dream..." Just for a second I hit myself 3 times but everytime I am still here.

"J-Jane" I yell into the air near the wall  but I hear nothing...I try to close my cell with all my strength but it's futile to do so.

For what feels like hours but in reality only a few minutes I feel paralyzed to the madness going on around me, the noise almost mind-numbing and nothing compared to anything before that...A-Am I still in Arkham.

I call out for Jane but I get no response...C-Calm down...I-I have to calm down and breathe.

"Are you there?" I hear a voice and I instantly recognize it as Jane's voice and I respond to it, confirming her question "Y-Yes" I respond to her, hugging the wall and trying to stay in the darkness of my room while speaking as quietly as I can but loud enough for her to hear me.

"What do I do...I-I don't know what to do." I tell her, feeling tears swell in my eyes. I stare at the wall trying to tone out everything but the only comfort I can find is everytime I hear her breath or even speak through the vent and I spout my panics at her, to the point of even nearly breaking down with no response.

"Go to the Manor, there should be guards there." Manor...She must mean the large building in the center of Arkham, you can even see it from the docks of mainland Gotham.

"A-Alright but shouldn't we meet up first...I mean...You and me?" I ask her and she stays silent "No" she says, not elaborating any further "Just go, now" She speaks firmly, catching me off-guard from her usual demeanor but nonetheless I tell her I am leaving but I can't bring myself to move at all but that changes with gunshots that ring out, vibrating off the walls and so I leave my cell taking only my journal with me.

I go out into the hallway, looking both ways before going on...I don;t even know where the manor is but it's in the center so I have to just...M-Maybe I can get to windows...N-No there's no place tall enough for that, at least places that are accessible to Asylum inmates.

Ugh, I have to keep moving I will think along the way.

I start running while trying to minimize my footstep sounds as much as possible, running to the areas where I find the most familiar in a desperate attempt to hopefully find my way with the first area in mind being even slightly viable to go to is the garden.

The Cafeteria is likely empty or overrun and I wouldn't have anything there...And the offices that host therapy are likely empty.

The botanical gardens at least have windows so maybe I could see something from there or there could be a outside exit to it.

I run past inmates that are fighting eachother or doing things that I don't even begin to question as I run through the halls trying to avoid dense areas.

What happened? How did this happen...No, now is not the time to even question it but I have to get my ass to...To.. J-Jane.

I look at the direction the gardens and I look back to the cell blocks, conflicted and I know she told me to run...She told me but she was...Even if I do go back, what can I hope to do?

I stand there, at a crossroads debating with myself before eventually deciding to turn back with the pressure in my heart weighing me down and the thought in my mind is of my afterlife...What would the gods think of me were I to abandon someone, let alone someone who has...Saved me from myself and this is just...I-It's just a debt repayment.