40

They kept moving, not worrying about stopping to look for food or water they got far away from that place
They thought about going back and destroying the signs on the tracks but they knew if Gareth or his people spotted them they'd be killed on sight, and that just wasn't an option.
So they kept walking, dressing warmer, stopping sooner than before when the sun set earlier, sitting closer together, closer to the fires they set.
It wasn't just the temperature changing, they soon got the feeling of being watched.
It started a few miles back but they never heard anything, never saw anything and there was plenty of times they could've been attacked--they didn't know if the person or people following them were friend or foe.
They were on alert, watching, waiting, ready for a fight.

Niall was at a stream nearby, washing Judith's clothes as Y/n finished packing up their supplies, she looks over and sees Judith watching her.
"Hey, ye better start carryin' your weight around here--I'm tired of carryin' the food and your little arse." Y/n points at her
Judith giggled at her, clapping her hands.
Niall rolls his eyes a little "Stop cussin' at the kid." He rings out a shirt "If you're not careful her next words gonna be arse, or bas..." He trailed off hearing a branch snap, clearing his throat he acts like he didn't hear anything "You hear that?"
"Yes." She picks Judith up and sets her in her lap, kissing her cheek "It's close."
He nods and shoves the cloths in a bag "They're getting brave."
"Let's see how brave." She looks over at him.
He clears his throat and walks over to her, ignoring the sound of leaves rustling "Ready to hit the road?" He smiles at her as he grabs one of the bags
"Yep." She grabs the blanket and secured Judith to her front before slinging her backpack onto her back "Let's go."
Niall glances around before following after her, ignoring the feeling of eyes on his back.

They walked down the road, a breeze in the air, few walkers stalking them, the sun warming them despite the cold air.
Y/n walked on beat to the song in her head, bouncing Judith as she went "While goin' the road to sweet Athy, hurroo, hurroo While goin' the road to sweet Athy, hurroo, hurroo While goin' the road to sweet Athy, A stick in me hand and a drop in me eye, A doleful damnsel I heard cry, Johnny I hardly knew ye." She sung with a smile
Niall breathes a laugh before joining in for the chorus.
"With your guns and drums and drums and guns, hurroo, hurroo With your guns and drums and drums and guns, hurroo, huroo"
Y/n shared a smile with Niall "With your guns and drums and drums and guns, The enemy nearly slew ye Oh my darling dead, Ye look so queer Johnny I hardly knew ye."
"Where are the eyes that were so mild, hurroo, hurroo Where are the eyes that were so mild, hurroo, hurroo"
Y/n took back over as she watched Judith begin to fall asleep "Where are the eyes that were so mild, When my heart so beguiled Why did ye sci-daddle from me and the child Oh Johnny, I hardly knew ye"
"Where are the legs with which you run, hurroo, huroo Where are the legs with which you run, hurroo, hurroo" Niall cuts her off "Where are the legs with which you run, When you first went to carry a gun Indeed your dancing days are done Oh Johnny, I hardly knew ye"
Y/n's eyes snap towards the woods hearing walking, she shares a look with Niall, swallowing thickly she tries to act like nothing happened.
"Ye haven't an arm, ye haven't a leg, hurroo, hurroo Ye haven't an arm, ye haven't a leg, Ye're an armless, boneless, chickenless egg Ye'll have to put with a bowl out to beg Oh Johnny I hardly knew ye"
"I'm happy for to see ye home, hurroo, hurroo I'm happy for to see ye home, hurroo, huroo I'm happy for to see ye home, all from the island of Ceylon; So low in the flesh, so high in the bone Oh Johnny I hardly knew ye" Niall sung with less joy than before as they heard someone coming up behind them, they share a quick nod.
"The enemy never slew ye Oh, my darling dear you look so queer" They finish up
"Hello--"
Before the man could finish his sentence Niall was punching him across the face, knocking him out before he even hit the ground.
Y/n looks around them for anyone else as Niall drags the man into the woods.