Chapter 4: The Shadow

The Shadow Degree didn't know that more Esper-born children were conceived, albeit nine years ago. Blanche herself was Esper-born, just without the powers of her parents. Maybe it was a good thing, as if she had any more similarities with her dad, her mom might of flipped ages ago.

Her mom had complications with her birth, thanks to the stress of her partner dying and just a hard pregnancy in general.

So when she heard that two more Esper-born children were being hidden away by the Union, she didn't know how to react. On one hand, it was understandable that they were hidden away. The Esper Union and the Shadow Degree were at ends with one another, and if they got the kids, they'd have a huge advantage over them.

On the other hand, it appeared these children seemed to have a better life than she. Where she didn't have a dad and had a neglectful mother, they had two loving parents and a rich uncle.

"Blanche? There you are." Lynn came up to her, holding a small sandwich. She took it, thanking her self-proclaimed auntie and nibbling the sandwich.

"Are you still thinking about the news?" Lynn asked softly.

"I just don't get it," Blanche said, "why do those two boys get awesome powers, a living dad, and a loving mom!"

"Hon! Your mother loves you very much."

"Doesn't show it." She bit into her sandwich angrily, biting her tongue in the process.

"Blanche," Lynn said sternly, "your mother has been through a lot, you have to understand-"

"Just...leave me alone."

Lynn paused, then got up reluctantly, leaving Blanche to her thoughts.

She didn't know if these twin's parents were actually loving, but based on what she could see, their parents being the Tang Xuan and Yuuhime, she assumed that they had to be.

It didn't help that Tang Yun had been bitching about it all day.

"How could he do this to me! He didn't even tell me! When I find you, Xuan..."

Yun was her mom's friend, and boy did Blanche hate his guts. He was always so pessimistic, and when he wasn't, he was just plain creepy. But, she couldn't say anything without getting yelled at, so she just kept her mouth shut.

She had halfway finished her sandwich when an annoying voice trickled into the room.

"Branch! Branch! Pa- I mean, Yuvsi brought me to the beach!" This annoying voice belonged to Cricket. She was an Esper, horns sprouting from her head and glassy black eyes. Blanche didn't even mind that she was an Esper, but just the amount of inspiration she took from Yuzhi, her main caretaker, was a headache.

"The beach?" Blanche turned to her, only for her sandwich to be stolen and stuffed into the small Esper's mouth.

"Um huh!" Cricket nodded, giggling. "I saw the Esper-borns first."

"Hey!"

"Haha! I'm better than you!" Cricket sped off.

"Get back here!"

"Eek!"

Blanche easily tackled Cricket, but right in front of Yun.

Yun liked Cricket about as much as Blanche did, but he liked Blanche herself even less. He grabbed her by the collar and glared.

"How dare you think this behavior is ok?" He said. "You're lucky that I'm too busy to punish you."

He dropped her and walked off, just enough time for Cricket to run to "papa Yuzhi" so Blanche couldn't do anything else.