Chapter 5: Torture of a Hurting Heart

"Mom!"

"Mom?"

Yuuhime felt her boys tug on her dress as she entered her house. She glanced down at them and sheepishly smiled.

"Hello there, you." She picked them up and rocked them. Amon gave her a big hug, while Ace leaned on her, looking very tired.

"Can you tuck us in?" Ace asked softly. Yuuhime nodded, rubbing his head.

"Of course..."

She softly patted to their room. She gently placed Ace into his bed, keeping Amon on her leg and sat on the foot of Ace's bed.

"I need to tell you boys something very important." She said, her face grim. The twins stared at her, wide eyed.

"Dad isn't...going to be home for a while, ok?"

"Why?" Amon asked.

"Is he ok?" Ace asked, holding onto his bedsheet.

Yuuhime scanned their faces. They were only nine, she didn't know how she could tell them...

"...dad is ok." She said, hoping she wasn't lying. "He's just...somewhere else right now."

"When will he come back?"

"I don't know, but it will be soon."

She sat up and put Amon to bed.

"Don't think about it too much, my darlings. Just get some bed, alright?"

The twins nodded. Satisfied with their reactions, she left for the door and shut off the lights.

"Night-night, mama." Amon called.

"Night-night, my boys."

She shut the door all the way, and was met with a smell. Following it to the kitchen, she found Yamato plating something.

"Oh, there you are!" He said, holding out a plate of rice and vegetables. "Do you want some?"

"Leave." She said darkly. He flinched at her coldness but didn't move.

"Where is that husband of yours?"

"His...his name is TANG XUAN!" She suddenly lashed out and pinned Yamato to the wall, her fingernails digging into his neck. The plate of rice shattered, the white shards under their feet.

He didn't bother to get her off, he just listened to her panting and sniffling.

It was at this moment he realized—really realized—he didn't know her anymore.

Not as a friend.

Her fingernails dig deeper into his flesh, blood dripping onto her sweaty hands. Her eyes welled up with anger, sadness, pain, hate.

Not as a doll.

Her once porcelain skin was now a little tanner, as if she spent more time outside. Her hair was messier, as if she didn't care as much as she once did. As much as Kokuzan and Yamato wanted her to.

Not as his sister.

"...get out, never return." Yuuhime said silently, letting go of Yamato. Rubbing his neck, he turned and left. Once he shut the door, she couldn't hold it in any longer.

She fell to the ground, gasping for breath. Her cheeks were wet with her salty tears, those tears that made it impossible to breathe.

She thought she left the tears in her past. She thought the same for Yamato, but he made she sticky rice she was sitting on.

"Sunflower...sunflower..." she sobbed.

Ace and Amon stared at her around the corner. They weren't stupid, they knew that their dad wasn't coming home "soon."