A Secret Gift

I'm literally so proud of myself for consistently updating

-//-

I was so glad I was staying over for Christmas. Hermione, Harry, and Ron were staying, and they were all I needed to make it through. My brother, Draco, was going back home. I didn't know if he would stay in the side house, or go to Malfoy Manor. I just hoped he was safe either way, and that he got my Christmas present in time.

I sent Claire last week so she'd make in time. It was a big, heavy present, and I knew she'd need breaks. I think she's happy she got me as an owner.

Claire came back this morning, Christmas morning, and I knew Draco would wake up and see it.

When I woke up with Hermione, it was no surprise I couldn't see any gifts from my family, but I still had hope that they were at the bottom of the small pile.

I got a knitted jumper from Mrs. Weasley, with a C embroidered in gold on the front, with a white base. I got a broom polishing kit from Harry, along with a small silver ring with my initials engraved on it. So he did pay attention when I said I preferred silver over gold.

Ron got me some chocolate cauldrons, and Hermione got me the book I continuously eyed in Hogsmeade. I love Hermione.

After opening all the gifts, I saw two more, except they were small. I picked them up. An emerald green one read 'To: Cathy, From: D.M' Draco sent me a present!

The black one with an even blacker bow read 'To: My precious niece, From: Auntie Bella.' Weird. My Aunt Bellatrix never sends me gifts, and I really didn't need any more problems from her.

I opened up my Aunt's, and, lo and behold, it was a small book labeled: A Beginner's Guide to the Dark Arts. She should've stopped the last time she saw me throw this book away.

I opened up Draco's, and I smiled to myself as I pulled out a shiny, silver necklace that had a rose on it, when I looked back into the box, I saw a miniature fake-rose. I didn't know he knew I liked roses. I guess he payed more attention than I thought he did.

"What'd you get Hermy?" I asked as I clipped the rose necklace on, and threw the jumper on. I put the ring on last minute.

"My mum got me a book!" She said ecstatically, "it's in French!"

"How're you supposed to read it then?" I asked her as we walked down after I put my hair in a low bun.

"I'll use the translation book my dad got me!" She said as she practically skipped down the last couple of steps.

"Good morning," I said in a sing-song voice as we saw Ron and Harry downstairs on the couch, supposedly waiting for us so we could all go to breakfast.

"Morning," they both said.

"Let's go see what the house elves prepared us!" I said and I lead the way to the Great Hall.

We ate peacefully, talking about what we got, except Harry was oddly quiet about most things he got. Weird.

As we got back, he sat us down in the common room.

"I didn't want anyone to overhear in the Great Hall, but, I got a Fire bolt."

"What?! That's crazy, Harry! I mean- it's awesome!" I said as I smiled at him.

"I know, except, the thing is, there was no note, card, letter, nothing."

"Weird, but who cares?" I said.

"That's odd," Hermione said thoughtfully, "I think you should tell McGonagall about it. She'd want to know."

"Absolutely not!" Ron said before Harry could, "why would he turn a gift like that in?"

"So maybe when he wants to ride it, he doesn't get killed?" Hermione said after mockfully thinking for a couple seconds.

"Hermione, I honestly think you should go read your French book now," I said as I turned to look at her.

"No! I mean- Harry, you have to get this checked! It's- it's just weird for someone to send an expensive, like, expensive expensive, gift and not want to take credit for it!" Hermione reasoned.

"I'll go read your French book," I muttered and started to walk up the stairs, shutting the door as I heard Ron and Harry start fighting back.

I honestly think Hermione should stay out of it. It's their choice. It's Harry's choice. If the broom is cursed, sucks to suck. Maybe they should've listened to Hermione, but if it's not, then they went through all that for nothing.

Plus, it takes a long time for somebody to strip down something like a broom, and check every single molecule for a trace of dark jinxes. The Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw is close, and then the one between Slytherin and Gryffindor. Harry might not be able to play if he doesn't have his broom handy, and he might, no, definitely, won't be able to do the practices he must do.

I think it's best if Hermione stays out of it. If anything happens, somebody will be around to help Harry. He doesn't just go off on his broom for some random joyride. He barely has the time to finish his homework.

I guess I'll just have to see what happens tomorrow, as I am definitely not getting into this fight.

Draco's POV

I woke up on Christmas morning to a pile of about 5 presents. Oh well. Larger than last year's pile. I was staying in the side house, and I hoped Catherine didn't mind it. She probably wouldn't.

I got up and opened up each gift, and stopped on the last one as I read the tag. It was from Catherine.

I opened the letter first.

Dear Draco,

I don't know if you're staying at Malfoy Manor, or the side house, but I hope you're safe either way. If you didn't send me a gift, it's okay, and I don't want you to feel pressured to have to send anything. Anyways, I love you a lot.

Love, Catherine

I'm glad I sent her something after reading this. I looked over and saw a gift. It didn't look heavy, but it sure was.

I opened it up and saw that she had put a cauldron in it, with some potion books inside. Very thoughtful. I'll have to remember to thank her. Maybe over letter compared to doing it at Hogwarts.

Just a short little chapter, and let me know if you guys would want to see more of Draco's POV! Love you all so much!