Cadence not candor

Natalie's PoV :

I stood at the base of the metallic skyscraper for longer than I anticipated.

That's one big boy.

Fiddling with the hem of my skirt, they grey fabric was soft under touch.

Phew.

I don't know why I was nervous, they approved my interview.

It'll be fine

Right?

Yeahhhh.

The charcoal panelled doors slid open mechanically to reveal a red-faced older receptionist tapping furiously on her computer. Her curls held back with a flimsy scrunchie. I guessed she was around the late 40s?
Her facial expressions softened as she greeted me. I introduced myself and explained my position and she watched intently with a gentle eye. She explained lightly that I was to meet my head of department Jenny briefly before my induction. Her voice was soft and calming.

Omg don't fall asleep

Following the directions i was given, I took myself to one of the lifts nearing the end of the reception. The matte doors slid open smoothly to present a striking mirror interior.

Jesus

I pressed the 5th floor button (whilst fighting intrusive thoughts to press all 32 like in elf) and stood awkwardly on the reflective floor. It only took a second for my mind to briefly slip to the wrong place.

Holy shit Nat YOURE NOT OK

As the doors slid open they revealed a pleasing array of separate offices and a large conference room. The area was adorned with a sprinkling of plants I assumed were banyan fig plants.

A put-together woman with her blonde hair in a tight bun strode over to me with an official-looking smile.

"You must be Natalie ! I'm very pleased to meet you you can call me Jenny." She grinned, extending her hand to greet mine

I eagerly accepted the offer and shook her. That woman had a weak grip for such a strong appearance. "So you're Jenny!" I smiled "thank you so much for this offer!"

We exchanged brief pleasantries during which she explained that after my meeting she would show me around herself before I began admin."Ms wills's office is rhigght over there" she added, extending her arm to point at a door opposite the conference room.

"Good luck"

Uh what?

I nodded briefly before making my way to the entrance. Why was I so nervous there's no way I can mess this up, she's probably does this for every new employee.

Knock knock

"Come in" a stern, feminine voice answered

Omg Natalie breathe

The door handle was cold under my palm as I pushed it.

Oh no

As I laid eyes on Ms Wills my heart sunk.

As soon as i looked up i was met with the stern eyes of one of the most beautiful women i had ever seen.

Ohhh noooo

My mind failed to respond in any way , completely blank. All I could do is just stand and stare.

Ms Wills had shoulder-length hazel hair that undulated gently from the roots to tips. It was in a half up / half down style with two slithers fallen gently either side of her ears. She had one eyebrow raised at the younger woman and her lack of response .