thirty four - the club ordeal

Nicholas Miller was, according to Nine's research, exactly who he thought he would be

He seemed conniving, disgusting, ruthless, sloppy, and overall, a complete and utter fucking mess. His moves weren't nearly as calculated as they were intended to seem, surprisingly.

For fuck's sake, the guy literally lived in the same unit secretly with a possible target, someone he'd managed to know personally, and while she wasn't aware of what was going on, there were easier and simpler ways to go about knowing her personal life.

So, after their failed attempt at assassinating him the other week, Nine had done ample, further investigation into him because it seemed that he knew much more than they originally thought.

And while that still may be true, Nicholas was extremely bad at covering up his moves and motives when it came to his involvement with the Oswalds and Uccello. He never concealed his identity.

He blatantly dated a friend of Bird and didn't even bother to get close to her in any way. And to top it all off, he had no real skills in this entire war.

The only reason he hadn't been able to get to him that day was because he'd been tipped off by someone else, and not because Nicholas was just that smart and thought he'd trapped Nine as he first suspected had happened.

The stillness of his phone that Bird had pointed out was due to the fact that he already knew what was happening.

Yes, it was wrong for Nine to continue to blame her after he discovered this, but in truth he just didn't bring it up once again and allowed her to think what she wanted.

Nine had come to the conclusion that his theories about Nicholas Miller were correct, and even more so had assumed that their mission coming up would be significantly easier than the previous attempt knowing what he thought he knew now.

He wasn't worried about Blue's actual abilities because Nicholas would be that easy to trick.

Nine appeared to be wrong.

At first, he thought he was seeing things. The alcohol consumption was getting to him, and he was almost entirely confident that the face he was seeing was a figment of his imagination, and he'd been drugged by someone at this damn club.

It unfortunately wouldn't be the first time someone had been spiked here, as it was often a place for mafia activity and deals since Damian uses it as a hub for the more nefarious relations of their organization.

But then he saw Lucy do a double take at the person who'd stood behind Blue now, her smile disappearing from her face in an instant.

He thought certainly the raven-haired girl would see Lucy's demeanor change.

Blue wasn't looking at her friend anymore though, she was looking back at Nine, who was staring intensely at a face he had been so close to killing, realizing that he was real.