CHAPTER SEVEN

Layla pulled up by the gates and honked to notify Hadi so he would open it, and as he did, she could detect his whole demeanor had changed. He was extra obedient and wasn't grunting like he usually does. Her eyebrows creased, a sudden sinking feeling settling itself in her stomach. A black Range Rover was parked by the fountain, the driver leaning against it. The immediate dark sensation that took over her whole body was too overwhelming for a day that started so good for her, as it only meant one thing. Abbu was back. Parking the car behind his, she stayed in for a few minutes to calm her nerves and strengthen her resolve, took a fortifying breath before exiting the car.

The living room was quiet when she entered, and she wondered where they all were as everyone was usually at home when their father arrives. Deciding to check on her father than to linger around dragging meeting with him any longer, she walked to the door leading to his wing of the house. She knocked on it and waited. Usually, he would open his door himself but now as the door pulled open, she saw Zahra wearing the widest grin.

"Abbu is back!". She silently squealed, clearly excited. The lump in Layla's throat thickened.

"What a pleasant surprise ". She choked out, her heart beating loudly in her chest as she strolled in, keeping a neutral expression to hide her trepidation. Immediately she entered her father's living room, she was met with all of her brothers and father's wife.

Family moment?. I hope this goes well.

Mas'ud was leaning against the full length window, both Sa'ad and Khaled sat on a couch opposite Abbu where he sat with their stepmother on the same couch and Zahra passed by her, taking a seat on the arm of the couch her two brothers sat, on Khaled's side. Layla wondered if their father knew they liked each other.

"Ah Layla my dear. Come. Come say hi to your father ". If she were honest, she'd have admitted how at that point she felt like an outsider intruding on some family time. When her eyes landed on her father she took a seat on the carpeted floor and greeted him, her gaze lowered.

"Ina wuni Abbu. An iso lafiya ?". She greeted and he responded, seemingly happy to see her.

The heaviness in her chest lightened up a bit, especially when he relayed the news that their little sister, Munira will spend the end of term's holiday with them. He looked a little older and weightier than the last time she saw him, which was months ago before she left town for her mother's place, but his dyed hair and beard were still able to conceal his true age. His deep voice rumbled at what Sa'ad said which she wasn't paying much attention to, but laughed along nonetheless. She was almost comfortable with how smoothly the bonding was going, yet, she knew the good moments were too good to be true. It was always like that, her father will be all fatherly with her until he finds a trigger, to unleash his long time anger towards her which normally goes on and on. Unfortunately, the day was not her lucky one as Zahra took that moment to be the perfect one for announcing her grand accomplishment, ruining the comfort Layla was basking in.

"Abbu, I wanted to tell you something, but I didn't want to say it over the phone until you got back". Everybody fell silent, waiting.

"I hope it's good news. No bad news for this tired old man please ". He joked and everyone laughed, well, except Layla. Because she was quite aware of what the girl wanted to say.

"No, it's good news. I've gotten through with my degree. I am now officially an architect!". She eagerly replied, the simple statement making their father's face beam. The cold feeling Layla experienced at that moment threatened to make her almost get up and run to her room, lock her door and never see any of them again. Unfortunately, the feeling was too heavy it had her glued to the floor, torturing her tired soul by fixing her eyes on her sister, and on her father. Watching as his expression transformed into one of absolute joy, directed at Zahra.