CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The notes that she held were inconceivable when she read the contents in them one by one. It had been more than a month since Mariam left, or rather since she was dismissed, and over that period of time she had been neck deep into her own life problems that she thought so little of her and where she might be now.

'I lost my voice as a result of an accident. A car accident. Being mute became a blessing. ' The first note read and she couldn't help the sinking feeling that had settled itself in her body. It was an answer to the question she once asked her that she couldn't reply at the time.

'Ma'am Laila, I'm sorry for what you are going to read. I don't want to hurt or make you sad, and I don't want you to hate me for saying it. But the man I saw you with yesterday isn't the man he appears to be. I know him, I've known him for long, and I cannot allow him hurt you. Please forgive me'. Layla's stomach churned at what she read. The first two notes looked a little bit worn than the last one, which meant they were written before it. The nauseating sensation in Layla's gut became stronger as she scanned the note over and over again, her mind unable to process its contents.

'Ma'am Laila, I'm so sorry for what happened. I swear by Allah I didn't steal your jewelry. Everything happened at a wrong timing, and I hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive me. I wish to plead with you in person, I wanted to see you for the last time before I left but I couldn't. I sneaked the notes in here so that you'll see them one day. I may never see you again, but I pray to Allah to bless you abundantly and take care of you. You cared about me, you fed me and you gave me hope . Only He can reward you for what you did for me. For as long as I breathe, I'll always have you in my heart '.

Layla's head turned, the dizzying sensation grappled at her with a force that almost knocked her down. She held the counter's edge trying to steady herself and contain the pounding headache that followed. She poured some water from the tap into a glass and gulped it down, breathing deeply to clear her head and calm her unsettled nerves.

What does this mean?.

When she was finally able to get a hold on herself and her cluttered mind, she walked out of the kitchen clutching the notes firmly in her palm. Her stepmother walked right then from the entrance as well and greeted, seemingly excited, really excited. Zahra was in the living room with their aunts as she was about to walk up the stairs to her room.

"Won't you come and help your sister with sorting out these items?." Rumaisa asked, giving her the usual contemptuous look and gesturing towards the many kitchenware they got, all piled up in the room beside the stairs.

"I'm sorry aunt Rumaisa. I have a bad headache and I need some sleep. I'll help tomorrow." She didn't wait to hear what her aunt had to say as she was already walking up the stairs.

Locking the door to her room, she sat on her bed. The weight of her problems were getting bigger and worst by the minute, and the notes she read were stuck in her head. She hung her head the palm of her hands and breathed deeply. Picking up her phone she dialed the one person that she needed the most at that moment, Maama.

Early the next morning after Fajr prayer Layla walked to the back of the house, just taking a head clearing stroll around when everyone was back asleep. She had been contemplating sharing her thoughts and the contents of Mariam's notes to Surayya so they could figure out how to tackle the whole thing. Yet, the skepticism that kept her from reaching out was overwhelmingly strong. She knows Ray was not like her other friends, that had been something she had effortlessly proven to her time and time again in the months they've known each other but she still feared being let down.

Unconsciously, her feet took her to the garden. It was her mother's garden that she had the dream to turn into a greenhouse, and after Layla returned, she did the work of grooming it and taking care of it. It helped take her mind off the line of problems during the times she felt at her lowest. In it, she found solace and connection with her mother. But in the last few months she hadn't been as devoted as she used to, which tugged at her heart at how she had abandoned one of her mother's legacies. Thankfully Hadi had taken up the job of a gardener and took care of the garden.