CHAPTER THREE

Mariam came out in the early hours of the morning carrying Um' Bilal's bags to the car that was to take her to the train station. By the main entrance, Layla stood with a woolen bed jacket wrapped lightly around her shoulders. The light that illuminated her back made her look even prettier than she did during the day. She moved forward and hugged the elderly woman.

"When will you be back?" She whispered.

"In four months if you aren't coping well without me ". Um' Bilal teased as she patted the young woman's hands.

"It's not funny ". She pouted but smiled then gave a quick look at Mariam before whispering something to the woman again. Maryam could see Um' Bilal's face from where she stood, and her heart sank when she saw the look of uncertainty on her face, a look she quickly masked with a smile then a nod before replying. She knew they were talking about her, so she turned her face to another direction so she can distract herself.

The eldest brother, Khaled came out through the door and unlocked the car, he grabbed Um' Bilal's luggage and loaded them into the it. Mariam slightly bowed by briefly bending her knees in greeting , that was when he noticed her, and he stared at her with scrunched eyebrows like she just grew two heads that minute.

"Her way of saying good morning. Just.. general greeting ". Layla explained.

He awkwardly nodded back and pressed on the trunk button then got into the car.

"I thought the driver will take me." Um' Bilal's whispered and Layla shook her head with a chuckle.

"He offered." The young woman whispered back, her eyes flickering in the direction of her brother mischievously then waved at Um' Bilal after walking her to the car.

"Today is my lucky day that he's not having those morning moods." The elderly woman said with a voice that hinted at humor then gestured for Mariam to come.

"Be good Mariam. Be good ". She gently warned and Mariam nodded with a sad smile then brought out something from the pocket of her gown with a note, held it with two of her hands towards Um' Bilal. She turned the little object to find out it was a little crocheted hair band connected to an adorable bow looped in different color of threads.

"Allah! You made this for my grand daughter?, Oh how thoughtful of you. Thank you dear". Her eyes glinted with joy. "Such talent! I'll read your note on the way. If not you're going to have me nagging for the rest of your life if I miss my train". She teased and Layla laughed while Mariam smiled and nodded then waved. Khaled drove the car out of the driveway and through the gates.

"Um...excuse me".  Layla called out on Mariam's attention. "I'm quite certain Um' Bilal has briefed you on everything right?" Mariam stood upright and nodded.

"Then we expect you to do your best, is that clear?". She nodded again to show she was very much capable.

"Good ". She commented and walked back to the house. Honestly, she felt the same way Zahra did about the girl. She just wasn't fit to be the person to take care of a house like theirs, but nothing could be said about it as it was their stepmother's idea to have her work here, and their father thought highly of the woman's  opinions that there was no budge.

Mariam felt uncertain and weak from the inside, she knows this was going to be one of the hardest challenges in her life but she was determined to do her very best even if her life depended on it. She won't disappoint Um' Bilal. Not with all the goodness and kindness the woman had shown her these past two days.

The breakfast she made that morning was simple and what she was used to preparing. Fries and eggs with offal sauce. It reminded her of her old days, when she used to prepare it for her cousins before they left for school and on weekends. The arrangement she made on the dining table wasn't so appealing, but the breakfast was appetizing alright.