CHAPTER NINE

Mansoor Ali Abbas, the son to a prominent businessman and an influential figure in politics, whom on his own grounds was a top executive businessman in oil and gas, a lecturer in petroleum and gas engineering at Dell University and a building contractor at thirty two. He was a very good friend of Khaled during their days in the University of Michigan, with their fathers being acquaintances in politics. Having been out of the country for a quite a while, it had been long since he saw his good friend.

Khaled rounded the building that was his father's wing of the house and stood by the fountain when his friend drove in. Immediately, his face broke into a grin as he walked towards the driver's side door. Mansoor slid out and took his glasses off before they started on what guys did best, handshakes, bro hugs and their signature holler at each other. Khaled took him into the house to meet the rest of the family. Everyone was in the living room catching up with Mansoor.

"Abbu will be very pleased to see you again".

Layla heard her brother's voice and wondered who he was talking to as she walked down the stairs in a coral orange butterfly silk dress paired up with a full length chiffon Abaya, the colors blending with her skin tone perfectly, creating an elegant aura that made her look sophisticated. A pair of transparent open toe stilettos graced her feet and the simple makeup she went for was the perfect match to her outfit. A nude Birkin bag the same shade as her shoes dangled from her hand as she descended, the sound of her heels being heard amidst their voices.

She took a look at her phone to see the multiple missed calls she had received from Zaynab and Amira and silently tutted. Raising her head, her eyes landed on the gracious and good looking stranger seated on the chesterfield beside Mas'ud. He was grinning when she looked up, showcasing a perfect set of dentition. 

Layla halted her steps for a second when his hooded eyes turned in her direction, her heart skipping a beat at the intrusion by the man's strong masculinity and the writhing awareness of his captivatingly intense charisma before she took the last step off the stairs. Her brothers were comfortably talking and Zahra was on the armchair, indulging them in a conversation as well

Who might he be?

"Heading out?". Her mind focused its attention on Khaled's question.

"Uh...yeah. Good afternoon ". She greeted the man and cleared her throat, not liking the way her voice sounded squeaky.

"Afternoon too ma'am ". The deep voice that resonated through him greeted back. She gave him a brief once over as she stood behind Zahra's chair.

His eyes that were under some thick eyebrows and his pointed nose were one of the most beautiful features on his facial features, where a well groomed beard covered his jawline. The white kaftan he wore bordered well with his dark skin, the clothing which he paired up with an equally enticingly made Tangaran cap that sat well on the crown of his head. He looked tall from where he was seated with an impressive dominating physique, but she couldn't tell how tall he was exactly. Most importantly, everything about him screamed success.

Right, Abbu cannot wait to meet him for sure. She mentally admonished herself for having such a bitter thought before it took control of her emotions and turned when Zahra spoke.

"It's Mansoor". She stared up at her expectantly, as if she was supposed to know who Mansoor was.

"Okay..."  Layla mumbled awkwardly, chuckling a little nervously. "I.. I have to get going ". As she walked to the entrance she heard footsteps behind her and turned to see Khaled. He handed her a key and she stared at it then looked up at him.

"Take it". He instructed when she gave him a confused look.

"I've already called for an Uber ". She spoke, her hands delicately adjusting the end of her veil over her shoulder.