Chapter 2: Corruption

I didn't really know the other angels well – they never seemed interested in Earth, and seemed practically glued to our father, following him around, nodding along, and saying "yes, Lord!" at every opportunity. Their behavior seemed odd, but I didn't question it, not like I should have, not like I did – eventually.

Then I heard the news: it spread through the angels like wildfire. He had created something new on the Earth: a pair of trees. This confused me deeply, because he had already created so many trees, and types of trees. Why would he finally turn his attention back to Earth just to create two more? But when I asked, I got blank stares.

"It's not my business why our Lord chooses to do anything," the next eldest (who acts like he was meant to be first) says loftily. "Everything he does is for a grand purpose and design that is not for us to question."

"But Michael," I protest, "did you even ask him? Or did you just – what – not want to bother him? He's our father. I'm sure he'd be happy to explain it." He always did with me, I very politely do not add aloud.

"IT IS NOT FOR US TO QUESTION." Michael is genuinely ruffled, distressed even. "Marvel at, yes, question, no. You are not a god, Lucifer, you are subservient to him. For your own sake, leave it be. Let his story play out."

Obviously, Michael and the other angels are brain-stunted idiots, so I ignore them. I go to my father, who is lent over, observing the Earth.

"Father," I begin.

He frowns back at me with a mildness that seems to come more from absentmindedness than from a lack of irritation. "It's God or Lord to you, Archangel." (What? And what is an archangel?)

"Um, okaaayyyy." I swallow, feeling discomfited. "God," (yuck, weird) "can I ask why you planted some more trees? I heard from the other angels..." I trail off and start again. "Does this mean you're returning to Earth? Your attention, I mean?"

He turns to look at me, his gaze boring right through me, and he smiles. But it doesn't have any of the old warmth or tenderness that it had before. It seems almost, I don't know, sly, or cunning, or... something I don't have words for.

"There are two trees, Lucifer, unlike any of the other trees I put there before. One has the power to grant eternal life, and one has the power to grant knowledge of good and evil. If they eat of them, they become like us, divine beings of the heavens."

A thrill goes through me at that, and my bad feelings at the mindless drone angels and creepy smiles and odd cryptic flashes of power all vanish like Earth's morning mist at sunrise. "That's wonderful, fa- I mean, God! Will they join us in the heavenly realms, or rule Earth, or make their own realms? When will it take affect? Will it –"

"NO!" My mouth snaps shut. I'd never heard such rage and threat in my father's voice before. When he speaks again, it's chillingly calm. "No, they are not meant to be like us. This is a test: they must resist the allure of the trees. If they can do that, they will be elevated in my sight and bestowed with honor – though not divinity, that would be absurd. But if they fail, they will be struck down in body and soul, cursed and doomed for eternity."

All my bad feelings come crawling back. I swallow the lump in my throat. "Did... Did you tell them it was a test?"

"Nonsense. That would defeat the point. But I did tell them not to eat it or they would die – which I suppose is true enough, but not before they'll wish they were dead."

I think of my friends, those lovely, irrepressibly curious creatures, innocent and helpless, unknowing, and I think the unforgivable thought: This test is impossible and unfair, and that is true evil. I wish I could take the thought back. There must be more to this. My father – my God – would not be this needlessly cruel to his own creation. I'm missing something or misunderstanding it. God is not evil. He's not. He can't be. Not my God. Not my father, who gave me life, who I witnessed build his world with such love and care and pure joy. No.

"You won't let them fail, will you?" I ask quietly.

"You should be off training your army of angels, Lucifer. There's a war coming." God turns away, back towards Earth. "This is a test they are meant to fail."