Chapter 14: Death

The first swing almost takes me in the chest. He'd channeled his power into a destructive wave of light that exploded out from the arc of his blade, so while I dodged the blow itself, the blast narrowly misses. Already I'm off balance, poorly positioned to respond with my own swing. I let my own blast of arcing power explode from my off hand while flying backward to put space between us. It connects with god in the side, but he doesn't even flinch. He smiles.

I'm reeling. Even with the boost Jesus had given me, that blast had taken about all I had in me; I was dangerously close to blacking out. I only had one more blast like that in me. And it had barely tickled him. I have no idea how to draw this fight out to be more than a few seconds. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I wonder what way he's found to kill me. Am I okay as long as I avoid his sword? Will it take me a long time to die, long enough to keep on fighting after the fatal blow (will it matter?)?

God doesn't need wings. He climbs the nothingness like stairs with powerful strides, rising to meet me. I thrust my trident at his sword, vaguely hoping to disarm him. He twists the blade free and brings it around in a devastating arc. I'm not fast enough, and the tip slices my leg open. I feel the pulse of his power tear through my body like a destructive whirlwind. I hear my own visceral scream as I fall, slashing wildly to fend off further blows. I thought I'd known pain before when pushed to my limits maintaining Hell, but that was nothing compared to this. I am consumed by it, paralyzed by it, it burns and eats and destroys and never stops.

I think I hear god laugh. I manage to switch my grip on my trident and stab backward and up at the sound and am rewarded by a startled cry and then a growl of anger. I blink my eyes clear and see him turning to follow me to where I've collapsed, stalking slowly. Golden blood drips from a slice along his shoulder.

I try to push myself up, to just grit through the pain. Honestly, living with constant pain and having to push through it to do things anyway for the past several centuries is probably the only reason I'm able to get my body to respond at all. The effects of his power are still devouring me, but I brace my weapon and roll to one knee. I have to block the blow. After that... I don't know.

His sword comes down. I see a flash of his caged teeth. I catch the blade and throw it off to the side, but he's able to keep his hold, barely. His chest is briefly exposed. With all of my strength, I slam my hand into his chest and release everything I have into a single, point-blank blast.

"OW!" God swats my hand away, and with a snarl, plunges his enormous sword into my gut.

I can't breathe.

I hear screaming, howls of anguish and outrage. I can feel every atom of myself being torn apart systematically.

I can't breathe.

There's a horrible sound as god yanks the blade out. I see Jesus hurl himself in front of me, scooping up my trident and yelling something incomprehensible at his father. Chaos is reigning.

I can't breathe.

I think I used to be able to see. I think I used to have hands, have a body. But I'm nothing more than stardust, and soon I won't even be that. Almost everything is scattered and split now. I can't die yet. It's really important... I have to... stop god... have to... save them.

It's not really senses, not like I had before – another lifetime? A second ago? – but I'm aware of angels and fallen fighting all around me, below me, beyond me. Distantly, I'm aware of Eliza's screams and miles of humans all joining hands as the first family chanted "NOW!" I can feel it not working.

This is the worst curse of all: that with my last moment of existence, I'm aware of just how comprehensively I have failed, that I will die in the knowledge that all I ever loved will be destroyed right after me.

I sink into oblivion.

"ELOHIM!" If I'd had any essence to speak of, it would have reverberated with the boom of the voice that seemed to shake the entire void. I don't know why or how there's enough of me left to have a consciousness and to be aware of what's happening. "THE COUNICL HAS FOUND YOU TO BE IN FLAGRANT DISREGARD OF THE COVENANTAL AGREEMENT."

"I can do as I see fit in my own realm and with my own children!" god bellows back. By contrast, he sounds like a tantruming child.

"THIS IS NOT YOUR REALM, AND YOUR CHILDREN POSSESS FULL DIVINE STATUS. THEY ARE NOT YOUR PLAYTHINGS OR CREATIONS. YOU LIED TO THE DIVINE COUNCIL."

Wait, the divine council?! I mean, I always sort of knew there were other gods out there, with their own realms, but I was always given the impression that they kept to themselves and didn't interfere in each other's business. This seems very much like interfering, and a council doesn't sound like keeping to themselves. Seems like the divine council isn't the only one god's been lying to (shocker).

"It was a necessary misleading, and I apologize. I needed the council's intervention for disciplinary purposes to maintain order in MY realm. It's all over now. You can reengage the immortality wheel if you must. Though justice demands this entire rebellious lot be punished for their crimes, I'm willing to let that pass."

The voice has a chilling edge to it. "HOW GENEROUS THAT YOU WOULD 'ALLOW' THE DIVINE COUNCIL TO TAKE AN ACTION. YOU HAVE BECOME FAR TOO ARROGANT, ELOHIM. YOU GRIEVOUSLY MISREPRESENTED THE SITUATION TRANSPIRING SURROUNDING YOUR REALM TO MANIPULATE THE DIVINE COUNCIL INTO SUSPENDING THE IMMORTALITY WHEEL JUST SO YOU COULD SLAUGHTER MULTITUDES OF YOUR OWN CHILDREN AND NEARLY OBLITERATE YOUR FIRSTBORN."

"Nearly?!" Now god sounds nervous. Nearly? I think. I certainly feel pretty obliterated. But now that I think about it, I do feel sort of tingly. How can I feel tingly if I don't have a form? (How can I be aware of anything if I've been truly annihilated?)

"THE DIVINE COUNCIL SUMMONS YOU TO APPEAR BEFORE US IMMEDIATELY TO ANSWER FOR YOUR ACTIONS."

God looks very small, but it's hard to say whether that's my perspective or actually his posture. (Hey, I can see things again! What is happening?!) "Yes, father." (god had a dad? I have a... grandfather?!)

There's a rushing sensation, so intense it seems like it should be painful but the sound that escapes me is something like a laugh. I'm not dead, after all!

At least, I'm pretty sure.