Chapter 4

"I think that in the fifteen seconds you're sharing an elevator with a beautiful woman, it's almost impossible to show her intelligence, charm and humor."

- Hervé Le Tellier

________________________________________________________________________

8 h 30 -

After a long day of posing for Cassie, I head for the door, eager to get home. Unfortunately, she decides otherwise and follows me out the door. 

- Come on! I'm coming over! I remind you that you never invited me and we did a great job today 

She really exhausts me, she's so full of energy, speaks loudly and radiates life.

- All right, then. You can come, but you're not sleeping at my place, is that clear?

- That's fine!

She grabs her metallic pink heart-shaped Doc Martens backpack and locks the three latches on the concrete door. She talks the whole way, over and over again. I don't really listen to what she's telling me, it's become a habit. All I have to do is nod and smile from time to time. When my front door opens, she jumps in and starts looking at everything in detail. The central room was bathed in subdued light, coming through the shutters that weren't fully open. I take off my shoes before opening them. I take the opportunity to air out the room a little, which I'm not used to. I light a monoi candle to cover up the musty smell. I love this smell, reminiscent of travel, vacations, the sea, sand and body oil. There's a fragrance in it that moves me.

- Good.... I love your place, but it's missing your dark essence, beauty. Are you sure this is your home? Plants? Paintings on the walls, I'm dreaming, pinch me! Okay, well let's see your bedroom.

I point to the door as I slump onto the sofa and she rushes to turn the knob.

- Ah... I heard her from the sofa

- Ah what? I said

- How can you sleep in such a big room with so little furniture! You just have a bed in the middle of... NOTHING. Your sheets aren't even made oh my god! What are you going to do when you bring someone back to make BOUNGA BOUNGA?

- I'll just have to undress him against the wall straight after I've gone through the door and push him onto the sofa, that'll bring out the fire.

- Argh, you get on my nerves when you have an answer for everything!

- It's a pleasure. I replied, winking at Cassie.

- So, what's for dinner tonight? 

- Pizzas?

- Okay, but with extra cheese and olives!

- You're a pain in the ass, you know that?

- No I'm so cuuuuute! She says, making puppy-dog eyes. She hopped onto the sofa beside me, put her legs over mine and turned on the TV. 

"BREAKING NEWS : We would like to ask you to stay alert when going out at night. Two lifeless bodies have been found in dark alleys in the town of Puento. The cause of death appears to be a blunt weapon, having severed the victims' jugular veins. Both victims have criminal records. The police think it may be a case of foul play, but we ask you to remain vigilant, and not to go out alone at night. An investigation is underway and the autopsy should take place within a few days"

- The world has gone mad! I'll leave in the morning, I promise, but you can't let me go alone, at night, with a sick man on the prowl. Imagine, I could get killed! I'm sleeping here, you have no say in the matter! Cassie grumbles, crossing her little arms over her chest, breathing loudly.