Chapter 8

"One change prepares another"

- Nicolas Machiavel

_____________________________________________________________________

8h35 -

Sitting on the sofa, Cassie asks me tons of questions. I look at her and tell myself that she's much more than a friend. She's a landmark, a horizon, a light and a secret door to my emotions. She helps me through the hard times, she's the only one who can make me laugh and reassure me. She doesn't judge me, accepts everything about me and is always there. I'm like a plant that she nurtures with great care, the treasure of her little garden. She's like a star, lighting up my dark night, knowing my whole story. I thank her mentally and tell her everything, from the neighbor's entrance in the elevator, spending more time than I expected telling her about certain moments. Notably the one where he came close to my lips and my hand automatically crushed against his cheek.

- Xio, you know, it's only a kiss. From what you tell me, this guy's pretty good-looking and he's obviously attracted to you. she tells me.

- Well, it's not just a kiss, it would be my first! And why would he be interested in me? He doesn't even know me! There's got to be something behind it...

- You're a mysterious, dark and attractive woman. Not everyone who wants to get close to you has ulterior motives. she adds, looking up.

She's probably right, but I guess I put up barriers to protect those who want to get to know me. To get close to me is to head straight for the gates of Hell. So kissing someone I don't know seems impossible, but I feel something inside me starting to change, to wake up, to growl, since I met him, and it scares me.

- Cass, I've been feeling things. I announced as she choked on her saliva.

- What kind of things? she wonders.

- Shivers, my heart raced and I had hot flashes when he approached me. It was unpleasant. I added, startled by the memory.

She begins to hold my gaze intently, and I can even pick up the waves of her boiling brain. A smile spreads across her face and grows all the way to her ears.

- Yes, thank goodness it's about time! This guy intrigues me, I want to meet him! she exclaims.

- The way he looks at me... It's as if he already knows me. I mumbled.

- Did he tell you his name?

- Ian.

- Ian, "God is gracious. she says, raising her arms to the sky. That's what his name means. I love him more and more!

Cassie loves everything to do with numerology, first-name symbolism, astrology and spirituality. She even has a dictionary of first-name meanings at home.

- Here's a challenge for you: learn to let yourself go, even if you don't want anything to do with him. All encounters are fortuitous, this one has to be.

- You're playing psychiatrist, Cassie.

- I've been your shrink forever. she says proudly.

- Yeah, and it doesn't work very well. I corrected her, laughing.

- Because you never listen and only do what you want! So don't change the subject. she growls. What else with him?

- He showed me the tattoo on his back.

- He took his clothes off in the elevator? Oh my god, that gives me fantasies! she exclaims, rubbing her hands together. What kind of tattoo is it?

- A woman trapped in a suspended birdcage above a stormy sea. She wears sores all over her body, her gaze empty. Her reflection distorts in the water, and a dragon moves towards her as the sun sets. Incidentally, he has thick scars on his back. He probably wanted to hide them by getting a tattoo.