Long Shot

So, now I'll take a chance on this

Thing we may have started

Intention or not

I don't think we saw it coming

It's all adding up to something

As much as Juice wanted to stay in the party, he stumbled outside after having a few drinks. Leaning against the wall, he lit up a cigarette. Pulling his phone out of his pocket, he played with it, contemplating his options. He couldn't understand why he was drawn to Josephine. Yeah, his mom had been in the same position, and as much as he said so, he knew it wasn't the real reason. Fuck it, he thought to himself. Flipping open the phone, he found her in his contacts and pressed it to his ear after dialing. It rang a couple of times before going to voicemail. He hung up quickly, unsure of what to say. Shoving his phone back into his pocket, he returned to smoking his cigarette, looking up at the sky. Suddenly, his phone buzzed, and he quickly pulled it back out of his pocket.

Hey, I'm at work. Everything ok?

He smiled as he threw his cigarette and started to text back.

Yeah, I was thinking about you.

As soon as he hit send, he mentally slapped himself. Maybe the liquor was making him way to forward. He stood staring at the phone when someone clapped him on the shoulder. He jumped to see Jax standing there, lighting up his own cigarette.

"Hey man, party's inside," Jax said casually. Juice looked down as his phone buzzed again.

Aww. Miss me that much? His smile widened, ignoring Jax beside him as he typed back.

Maybe I am

"Is that the nurse from St. Thomas?" Jax asked, a smirk on his face. Juice's eyes snapped up to him.

"Chibs told me 'bout her," Jax continued, "Said you're going out of your way to help her get her car fixed."

"Yeah, man, just trying to help her out."

"Man, her pussy must be amazing if you're paying to fix her car." Juice's face darkened, and he narrowed his eyes.

"It's not like that, man."

"Just saying, I've never seen you chase a girl before," Jax finished his cigarette, tossing it down on the ground. "She may be good for you." With that, he turned and walked back into the club. Juice looked back down to his phone as it once again buzzed.

How long are you going to be gone for? His fingers moved a mile a minute, quickly responding.

Should be home in 2 days. Let me take you out.

Definitely the alcohol talking, he thought to himself. He never would've had the balls to send the message if he was stone-cold sober. But the liquid courage was helping. He shoved his phone into his pocket and walked back into the club, making a beeline for the bar. Grabbing a beer, he sunk into a stool, looking around the club. Despite the sweetbutts walking around the club, he didn't feel like hooking up with any of them. Maybe it'll take my mind off of her, he thought to himself. Waiting for a response was nerve-wracking. When he finished his beer, he was about to get up when his phone finally buzzed.

Sorry was with a pt. Yeah Id like that

Great I'll call you when I get back

///

Meanwhile, at St. Thomas, Josephine was sitting at the nurses' station in the ED, trying to chart without getting distracted. Her coworker looked over at her as she started to zone out.

"Jo, you ok?" she asked.

"Yeah, Anna," Josephine responded without looking at her. Her phone buzzed, and she glanced at it before picking it up.

Can't wait to see you

She didn't realize Anna was reading the text over her shoulder.

"Ooh, who's that?" Anna asked, causing Josephine to jump.

"Oh, no one."

"Yeah, sure. No one really misses you then," Anna laughed. Josephine sighed, shoved her phone back into her pocket, and turned to face her coworker.

"Remember how my car broke down?" Anna nodded, and Josephine continued, "I brought it to Teller-Morrow cuz one of the doctors suggested them. Well..." Anna stared at her wide-eyed as Josephine trailed off.

"Holy shit. It's a Son?!" Josephine nodded wearily.

"Which one?" Anna couldn't contain her curiosity.

"You know them?"

"Well, I don't know them directly. But one of the doctors here is the VP's old lady," Anna went on. "So, which one?" She leaned forward and rested her chin on her hand, waiting for Josephine to spill the details.

"Juice. The one with the faux hawk. I-" she paused, running a hand through her hair. "I like him. He's sweet."

"But?"

"There's no buts."

"Yes, you hesitated," Anna laughed, "There's a but."

"I don't know if I'm ready to date. I'm figuring out my footing with being a mom. I mean, as much as I think he's nice and gorgeous, I can't help this gut feeling I have."

"Does it have anything to do with the twins' dad?" Josephine shook her head vigorously.

"Absolutely not. That shit bag is long gone rotting in a cell somewhere. I just don't know if I want to get involved with anyone right now."

"I think you should take the chance," Anna sighed. Josephine bit her lip as her friend pressed on, "I think if he's willing to go this length for you, he's worth the chance. One warning, though."

"What's that?"

"Be careful with the club. I've heard things from some of the stuff. Just be careful." Josephine nodded before turning back to her charting.

"I guess you're right." She reached for her phone, flipping it open to text Juice back.

I can't wait either