(2) Innocence

Season 1, Episode 1: Days Gone Bye

October 23, Day 60 into the Outbreak

"WHAT DID YOU do before this?"

Rory shrugged silently, sitting on one of the folded chairs as she looked at Carl. "Not much. I..." She swallowed nervously, glancing at her fingers. Kat was propped onto her lap, sleeping as usual. "I went to school...I was in Kindergarten."

"Did you have friends?" Carl asked, earning a small shake of the head from Rory. "Why not?"

"Nobody liked me," Rory said quietly.

Carl was confused. "Why not? I think you're pretty cool!"

"Thanks," Rory mumbled.

"Why are you always quiet?" Carl asked.

Rory just shrugged.

°°°

"Where are you going?" Rory asked Glenn quietly, sitting beside him as he got ready.

"Have to go on the run," Glenn replied, turning to her. "I thought Dale told you."

"I forgot..." Rory mumbled, ashamed.

Glenn knew how nervous she could get so he ruffled her hair and smiled. "It's okay, kid. I'll be back." He then took off his hat and placed it on her head, earning a bright smile from the kid.

Glenn internally cheered. She never smiled much, but he did notice how close she was to her cat. Which she named... Kat. Or Katniss, but Kat for short.

"When will you be back?" Rory asked quietly.

Glenn thought for a moment. "However long it takes. Do you need anything?"

"Um," Rory looked down at her cat in her lap. "C-cat food..."

Glenn smiled, nodding. "I'll try and find some again. Don't know how it'll work."

"I'm sorry," Rory lowered her head as if ashamed for needing cat food.

Glenn shook his head, pulling the girl close. "Don't be. I understand you love that cat."

Shane walked towards the two, gesturing to Glenn. "Time to go. I'll watch the kid from here."

Glenn sighed and nodded standing up. "Take care of that hat."

Rory nodded quietly. Glenn left, leaving Rory with Shane. Shane took a spot next to Rory, thinking to himself. The kid was quiet, and he wasn't quite good with kids unless he was training them with guns. He sighed reluctantly, turning to the kid. "You okay?"

Rory nodded, stroking the cat on her lap.

"You know," Shane started, glancing upwards, "that cat... She could be what kills you."

Rory's head snapped towards Shane. "Kat would never kill me."

Shane sighed, running a hand over his hair. "No, I mean... You care for that thing like it's your own –"