Chapter Seven

I lay on my bed, breathless and weak. The asthma attacks always made me that way and today, I was on the verge of having another seizure. I hadn't had one since I came to La Push. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, stretching and yawning.

      "Leah!" I yelled, then heard footsteps coming up the stairs and Leah stood in the doorway.

     "Yes, my queen?"

     "Let's go to the beach. It's not raining anymore," I said as I forced a smile.

     "What? You haven't left the house in weeks!" She stood up straight, crossing her arms over her stomach.

     "It's time to come out of hiding, baby doll." I stood up, pulling off my clothes and tossing them into the hamper. I was in a good mood now and ready to show off my body to the people who once shunned me after the breakup with Jake.

      I rifled through my dresser, tossing some articles of clothing on the bed. I changed into a white bikini bra, simple black bottoms, a Tai Chi crop top, and tassel trim woven Aztec running shorts.

      We walked through the forest and when my feet hit the sand of First Beach, I closed my eyes and inhaled the smells around me: wind, water, sand, perfumes and colognes of people on the beach.

       My hair whipped around my shoulders and face and I opened my eyes. Leah took my hand and squeezed. I looked in the direction where she was looking and my heart skipped several beets. There were a few boys headed our way.

      They were all tall, muscular, and had short hair. I recognized the faces as those of Embry Call, Jared Cameron, and Paul Lahote.

     "Hey there, sexy," Paul slung his arm around my shoulders and winked. "Hey, Leah." He rolled his eyes and my fists tightened by my sides.

     "Aiyana?!" Embry yelled, then laughed happily. I had missed Embry and I felt bad for not telling him I had moved back.

     "Embry!" I ran up to him, jumping into his open arms and wrapping my legs around his waist. He tightened his arms around my waist and buried his face in my hair.

      "When did you get back? Why didn't you tell me? God, you've changed." He set me down and smiled.

      "I...got back a couple of months ago. For Leah. I didn't want anyone to know I was back, know what I mean? Yeah, I really filled out, huh?" I twirled around, fixing my bathing suit and my hair. Paul's jaw dropped and Jared shut his mouth for him.

      "Paul, you're drooling, bro. Hey, Ana. Long time no see." Jared stuffed his hands in his pockets and smiled shyly. I nodded and patted his shoulder.

      Then I heard a familiar female voice calling for Jared, approaching us from the forest. Again my life was in slow motion as we all turned around to see this girl walking toward us. She looked like she didn't recognize me.

      She gave Leah a small wave and wrapped her arms around Jared's waist.

     "Kim?" I whispered, smiling slightly.

     "Hi." She furrowed her eyebrows, looking around. Embry gave her this goofy smile and nodded. Then she looked at me with realization. "Aiyana!" And we hugged and it was the best hug ever.