8. Potato Casserole

Scene 1

The dinner hour begins, signaling a temporary shift from the day's monotony. House, with his signature limp, makes his way towards the dining hall. Right beside him, Alvie, his roommate.

Alvie: Hey, House, did you hear? They're serving potato casserole tonight. I've got a good feeling about this one.

Without breaking stride, House shoots back

House: I hope they've seasoned it with cyanide. Might finally give me some peace from you.

Undeterred, Alvie laughs, a sound that seems too lively for the surroundings

Alvie: Aw, come on, you don't mean that. Where else would you find such delightful company?

Reaching the entrance of the dining hall, patients and staff alike queue for their meals.

Alvie: Seriously though, I heard from Jenkins that the potato casserole is actually decent. Jenkins is a man of taste, you know.

House glances at Alvie, his expression one of mock interest.

House: Remind me to follow his dining recommendations more closely.

Finally reaching the front, they're greeted by a serving of potato casserole that looks as uninspiring as the rest of their meals have been. Alvie, undaunted, accepts his portion with a grin, while House regards his with a critical eye.

As they navigate the crowded dining hall with their trays, the din of conversations and the clink of utensils against plates fills the air.

Alvie: So, where are we planting ourselves tonight, House?

House, his gaze sharp and assessing, spots Ada seated alone at a far table. With a nod towards her, he makes his decision.

House: There.

Alvie follows his gaze, a knowing look crossing his face as he rolls his eyes.

Alvie: Of course. The silent siren calls.