Chapter 7

During the second school break of the day, Marinette's frustration returned in full force.

Marinette scowled as she saw students fussing over Lila. "Y'know, I'm pretty sure she does not have tinnitus. She made that up just to sit with Adrien."

"Well, she told us about her tinnitus before she left on her trip." Nino offered. "She didn't tell us about it for the first time today or anything."

"I guess." Marinette grumbled. She still didn't believe it. "But Jagged Stone owning a kitten? No way. How has no one ever heard of that?!"

"Girl, you barely know Lila, what's your problem with her?" Alya asked, concerned. "You're not just jealous because she likes Adrien, are you?"

"I-" Marinette paused, Alya had no idea what Marinette knew. "Well she lied about knowing Ladybug for starters."

Alya raised an eyebrow. "How do you know this?"

"Uh-"

"Do you have any evidence? Or is it a hunch?"

"I-"

Michelle interrupted the two of them. "Well, did Ladybug confirm her story?"

"Well, no, but-" Alya stammered, not expecting her to join the conversation.

"Have you tried to ask Ladybug about it?"

"Uh," Alya scratched the back of her neck, "No, I haven't. But that doesn't mean it isn't true!"

Marinette scowled. "She's lying about it!"

"Why are you so certain?"

Marinette glanced at Adrien, who'd been silent the whole time, and at Michelle, who raised an eyebrow at her. "I may have um, followed her when she went with Adrien to the park after school." Adrien choked on his drink. "Ladybug showed up and asked her why she lied about knowing her."

"You followed her? That's not cool dude." Nino shook his head.

"That's what you took away from what she said?" Michelle snorted.

Alya, meanwhile, turned to Adrien. "This true?"

"I was at the park with Lila, yeah." Adrien answered after hesitating. "Ladybug showed up and sort-of yelled at Lila. She got pretty upset about it and ended up being Akumatised into Volpina. Remember her?"

"That Akuma?" Alya asked, "Huh. Yeah I remember that Lila got Akumatised. I always wondered why."

"Yeah. Honestly Ladybug was kind-of mean about it. I've never seen her that angry before."

Ouch. Marinette thought.

Adrien rushed to correct himself as if he'd said something wrong. "I mean I've never seen her that angry in -in any of your videos on the Ladyblog! I obviously don't talk to her often or anything."

Alya was silent, contemplating something as she looked at Lila on the other side of the room. "You said Ladybug was angry at Lila?"

"I mean," Adrien paused, "Yeah I guess? She really didn't like Lila telling everyone they were friends-"

"Maybe Ladybug got angry because she told everyone about their friendship!" Alya declared.

"I don't think-"

"I'll take the interview off The Ladyblog. It's probably best for her safety. Especially if Ladybug got so angry about it." Alya was nodding solemnly, ignoring Adrien's protests. "Now that I think about it, Lila could be a major target for Akumas due to her friendship with a superhero." Alya pulled out her phone and began tapping away. "Ladybug must have been trying to protect Lila, and accidentally offended her."