Chapter 1

June 15th 1639
Oslo Norway, the new Duke of Essex Thomas Ledger has been sent to meet with the royal family in Norway on a diplomatic mission from England's king, King Charles. Thomas is just a young man of 19 he inherited his father's title a few months ago and is just finding his place as his dream is to be a part of the King's court, it's the highest honor a high-born can achieve, Arthur and Patrick Asmall are both on King Charles court, which is unheard of, having two people from the same house on the court. It's why the Asmall's are the most powerful and richest family in England, Arthur was King James best friend, Patrick and Charles are childhood friends and regular go hunting together.

Thomas's dreams of being as powerful as the Asmall's, but the only way that can happen now is through marriage, Patrick's eldest sister Heather is already married with children to Earl of Manchester Alexander Colton. His youngest sister is betrothed to marry the Earl of Liverpool Edward Hale.

Charles only sent Thomas to Norway, in hope that he says something stupid and gets himself killed, then he can make Edward the Duke of Essex. Thomas suspected that this was the case, so he decided to be on his best behavior as he normally hates people who think that they are better than he. What Thomas wasn't expecting to happen on his trip to Norway was falling in love and with the King's youngest daughter Iduna who was celebrating her 16th birthday, she was very beautiful, with her long dark blonde hair and large breasts. Thomas instantly asked for her hand in marriage, which her father the King gladly accepted.

They married before the year was out, and they moved back to England, luckily for Thomas, Iduna was very adapt at learning languages, she was fluent in 6 before she turned 13. Iduna was also into women, her hand maiden and childhood friend was also her lover Ingrid. Iduna took Ingrid to England with her and a few of her servants and friends, so she was not alone in a foreign land, Thomas was very understanding and a loving husband. Being high-born she adapted very easily to English customs.

It took Iduna a few years before she gave Thomas his first child on November 12th 1645 she gave birth to Oskar Ledger, Thomas was not happy having a boy, even though he has his heir, Oskar would not gain himself a seat on the King's court, he needed a girl for that, Thomas has heard that Patrick has a new son called Benjamin, if the boy grows up to be as handsome as his father, all the high borns will be lining up for him to take their daughters.

Thomas is in his study talking to his two closest friends Sean Wilson, John Stearne and Matthew Hopkins. "John and I will be heading up north by the weeks end my friend." Matthew says to Thomas. Thomas nods, then turns to Sean a man with long brown hair and a tall muscular build, not a handsome man but a proven warrior. "Any news on Patrick's bastard as thy knows that he did not marry." Thomas states. "Just that thy mother died during childbirth, Arthur states that his title after Patrick if he does not provide a legitimate heir will go to Colton's Son Alexander 2nd." Sean says to him.

"We are going up north, would you like us to gather more information my friend?" John asked. "That is great news thank you, but must you go, thy son has just been born, and it would be nice if he knew his uncles." Thomas says to them with a smile. "Sir Johnathan Benson has asked for us personally to check out the deaths in the north, his sister Natasha believes that it's the work of witches." Matthew tells him. "Why can't they go?" Sean asked. "They are up in Scotland dealing with a werewolf problem with the Maguire's." John says.

Thomas would think that his friends were mad, had he not seen a vampire not long after his 15th year, John had saved him, Matthew and Sean from certain death. Matthew became a Hunter on his 16th birthday the year after John saved them, and Thomas helps fund them, as what they do is God's work. They sit and chat for a few more hours, just drinking and laughing, then they all decide to leave.