Chapter 3

April 20th

Church: Midnight Mass. "There is a Devil. Doubted by none except those who are under the influence of Satan himself." Alfred said as he walked down the aisle between the pews to the front of the church. He held up the Bible in his hand high into the air and shouted from his belly, "Living vessels of godlessness! The serpent from Eden, thou hast listened and there are witches hidden amongst us, and you people of Essex, seduced by drink and by flesh are blinded to it no more!"

The congregation stood in the pews shouting in agreement with the acclaimed witch hunter. "Burn the witches! Hang 'em dead!" The cheered. "We shall cleanse Essex!" Alfred shouted confidently, holding his chin up high. "Rid of the evil that plagues us! This is our warning to Evil. We are coming for you! Let us pray." He dramatically turned to the wooden cross hanging about and crossed himself then got down onto his knees.

The rest of the spectators followed suit, crossing themselves and bowing their heads reciting the prayer of resting on God: "Oh God, most high, most glorious, the thought of thy infinite serenity cheers me, for I am toiling and moiling, troubled and distressed, but thou are forever at perfect peace. Thy designed because you no fear or care of unfulfillment, they stand fast as the eternal hills. Thy power knowers no bond, thy goodness no stint. You bring order out of confusion, and my defeaters are thy victories: The Lord God omnipotent reignite."

Sitting above in the overhanging pews, Catherine sat in the shadows listening to the prayer battle cry and passionate declarations against 'witches'. Smiling to herself, Catherine felt excitement for the possibilities of play with Reverend Alfred Mather, the Puritan Witch Hunter. He had no idea there were soulless creatures far worse than witches who walk amongst the living at night.

Walking out of the midnight mass, Alfred headed to the small Inn across the town square where his seven months pregnant wife, Olga waited for him. He paused at the site where the butchered bodies of Thomas Ledger, the Duke of Essex and his wife Iduna Ledger, Duchess of Essex had been displayed for all to see. In the letters sent by his now dead friend minister Rodger Smith, he had stated that the Duke and Duchess had also recently lost their beloved daughter, Lady Catherine.

Smith described the Ledger family as extremely wealthy, as not just land, but Thomas owed most whiskey distilleries around the South of England. Thomas would arrive at church on Sunday's in an intoxicated state more frequently than not. He had described Catherine as a woman straight from the Book of Genesis; beautiful, loyal, and holy. "Reverend Mather," A sweet lithe voice tore from the stain of blood still painted on the cobblestone.

He whirled around with surprise to see a devastatingly beautiful woman bathed in the moonlight standing behind him. She had long wavy blonde hair that fell neatly over one shoulder. She wore an extravagant gown of red and gold thread and a black woolen cape.

Despite the darkness, Alfred could see the brightness of her green eyes that pierced into his heart. She was voluptuous and stood with an air of grace and unbothered confidence which was curious for someone her age. "You know me?" Alfred glared at the young woman, who could be no more than 18 years old with great skepticism. She smiled sweetly. "How can I not? Is there anyone in the province who doesn't?" She says to him trying to boost his ego. "Thou art alone?" Alfred darted his blue eyes into the darkness. "No, I'm here with my Lord. His words, anyway." She says shaking her head, and holds up her bible.

Alfred narrowed his gaze over her. She continued to say, "They offer great comfort in these perilous times. The Great Fire was just. Devastating! I feel that there is a great unrest. I must lean on my faith in the Lord in these grim days." Her eyes never leaving his. "Is that all that you sense?" He asked her. Catherine frowned. "Do thou not sense it?" Mather carefully eyed the young woman. "The commingling of sin, sorcery, and death? How can I fail to sense it when it consumeth our quiet little town?" The beautiful young woman took a step closer.