One In Another (revised)

This is a redone version of the old story part which I have since unpublished 😞 sorry guys but it served it's time 🕊️😪 it's also superrr long so I split it into two parts: fluff (this one) and the 18+ stuff (part II) I hope you guys enjoy 💗💗

     The early morning sun filtered through the sheer shoji doors, casting the estate hallways in a druzy shadowed light. Distant birdsongs chimed outside, a melody so calming as it was familiar. A sentiment of peace and security settled in your chest, while you wandered the halls. A long day of training awaited you; as a tsuguko, it was an endless regime of grueling training and apprenticed missions. You earned your keep, keeping up with the other slayers was its own entity entirely. But you persisted nonetheless. In a way, it was fulfilling as it was exhausting. You believed after these past couple of years you'd finally get used to the quantum amounts of achy pain, bruises, and injuries, but it seemed there was no more familiar feeling than the relief of your head hitting the pillow as you finally rested.

     However, he made it all worth it.

     Tanjiro Kamado was the Water Hashira, after the old one retired. He was just slightly your senior but he seemed to have lived far longer. The certain qualities of natural leadership and teaching that resonated within him captivated any and all that interacted with him. Including you. You were pleasantly pleased to have been personally recruited to shadow in his steps. Even if your training commenced, your budding friendship flourished until the dewy petals fluttered in the summer's breeze. Your relationship came first; he always ensured a clear separation between student and teacher and friends. Although, it was hard to think of being equal with him– but you were working on it. Many nights, you two shared dinner together; whether that be under the forest canopy, a wisteria house, or his abode, you enjoyed your time together. He knew you, and you knew him. In his eyes, you were a formidable student. Oftentimes, he believed you contained qualities he could only admire. And likewise, you did too. There was something about his enveloping optimism and kindly perspective on people and life that simply amazed you. He was strong and did anything to protect the people he loved.

     Especially you.

     No, not exactly. He didn't love you... well, maybe probably. You had a hard time figuring him out– figuring out what you two were. Flittering touches, lingering eye-contact, and purposeful praise led you inclined to believe that something was amiss. But a mellow smile and warmhearted laugh engrained the default: you two were just student and master. Nothing more. But you wanted him. You wanted him to yourself; for him to not look or provide any of his uniquely yours characteristics with anyone else. You practically spent every waking hour together– he was constantly the only apple of your eye. He would always be your sun. And you, an aimless flower.

     But how long could these thoughts persist? How long could you continue until every last passion consumed you entirely? And even if you were to confess your undying love, what would he think? He surely couldn't approve, he was a professional. This was all useless. You might as well crush your dreams before they got any more intense; to ease your inevitable heartbreak. The world wasn't perfect. Sadly, your wishes could never be fulfilled.

     Alas, you sighed, defeated by your conflicting thoughts. You chose to focus on your time together with him, focusing on getting stronger day by day instead of what brewed inside. Compared to the chill last night, this morning was delightfully warm and serene. With his checkered haori draped over your forearm, of which you received to shield from the past night's cold, you roamed through the gardens and wrap-around decks. The dewy morning air rejuvenated you, breathing life into achy joints and muscles. You commonly awoke early, earlier than him at least. By the end of your morning jaunt, he'd usually find you to acquaint him for breakfast before beginning the day. However, you decided to cut your stroll short and set off for his corridors. He couldn't wander around outside without his haori. Although, it wasn't like it was cold or anything. He didn't necessarily need it, at least not at the moment. But a small part of you wanted to see him. A miniscule part of your heart desired to confront him basking in the morning glow. To hear his voice hoarse with sleep murmur your name and see a tender smile directed only for you. He didn't need his haori.
.
.
.