Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Answers Needed

Mukai stood in the clearing, his eyes still fixated on the three genin on the ground before him. In the several weeks he had been here, he could feel his mind and his personality merging with the memories of the body he had inhabited. The Mukai that had earned the name night would not flinch at such carnage.

But now, as he looked down at the dead genin, a flicker of doubt crossed his mind. Was this really the path he wanted to continue down? Mukai's frown deepened, feeling the weight of his actions pressing down on him like a heavy cloak.

Taking a deep breath, Mukai closed his eyes and let the cool breeze of the forest wash over him. The rustling of leaves and the distant call of a bird filled his ears, momentarily distracting him from the scene at his feet. But as he opened his eyes again, the sight of the fallen genin brought back the searing memory of their malicious intent towards his students.

His resolve hardened like steel as he remembered the image of his students, bruised and scared. It flashed in his mind, fueling a fire within him. They were innocent, young souls who had come to this forest him seeking guidance and training hard for the war to come and he had failed them by letting these genin harm them.

Amid his reflection, the silence was shattered by an unexpected arrival.

A familiar pressure washed over Mukai and his back and spine stiffened instantly. Despite his sadness, he had still kept his sensory ninjutsu up. Their were several ninja strong enough to avoid or fool his jutsu but this pressure belonged to only one.

The leaves of a tall tree to Mukai's left rustled as a ninja in the darkest garbs he had ever seen, sporting a black hole-esque mask emerged.

Silence followed as they reenacted their previous staring game. Mukai racked his brain as all this happened. Even before being transmigrated he had no memory of this man, he refused to believe he would simply forget someone as strong as this. Meaning he had gone years of activity in the Root Organization without once meeting him to meeting him twice in the last two months alone. That could not mean anything good.

The very forest seemed to rumble as the ninja started talking.

"Danzo requires your presence," his voice was monotone and heavy, devoid of any warmth or inflection.

Mukai's jaw tightened. While the summons held no real surprise –There would have to be some discourse about what happened today. dread hung heavy in the air – a meeting with Danzo was never a simple affair. "Lead the way," he replied evenly, keeping his tone neutral.

The ninja gave a curt nod, turning and melting back into the shadows of the forest. Mukai took one last, long look at the slain genin.

Silently they took off into the forest. He was sure the ninja was limiting himself greatly so they could move at the same pace.

Behind the Root operative, Mukai's thoughts raced. This meeting felt different. With his earlier orders to watch shisui and now, to include the rest of his students in this mess? What is Danzo scheming this time?

As they neared the clandestine Root headquarters, nestled deep beneath Konoha's facade, a sense of foreboding washed over Mukai. The dingy, winding corridors seemed to close in on him with each step, shadows playing tricks on his eyes.

Finally, they came to a stop in front of a heavy, reinforced door. The masked ninja produced a key, unlocking it with a sharp click. He gestured for Mukai to enter, then vanished as silently as he had arrived.

Mukai squared his shoulders and stepped into the dimly lit room, the door creaking shut behind him. Danzo sat perched behind a simple wooden desk, his piercing gaze fixed on Mukai.