Chapter 4

The Caravan marches through the open plains of the countryside passing farmland that has been harvested bare in an effort to provide as much grain as possible. Birds flying through the sky chirping. Kara takes in a deep breathe of the fresh air, enjoying the peace of the country before they arrive at the Fortification. The landscape begins to change as they enter the Valley. The top of the Valley every few miles has watchtowers scattered along it keeping visual for enemy movements.

With the Caravan marching well into the evening Marcus suggests to allow them, especially the soldiers on foot to rest for the night.

"They'll be fine, Marcus. They can rest at the fort. For now we march on."

He sighs quietly knowing the men will be tired since they are expected to arrive at the Fort sometime after midday, he doesn't agree with her decision but decides to go along with it.

Dawn breaks over the Twin Valley and the Caravan is feeling the long nights march: the soldiers, and animals moving at a slower pace as they approach the Fort. The walls of the Fort stand ten feet tall made from logs, with the walls of the Fort stretch from end to end of the Valley, and the Royal Banner flying: Green flag, with a yellow X running corner-to-corner with the Triskelion in the centre.

The gate opens as a male voice yells out signaling their arrival. Soldiers in wearing studded armour stand off to the side of the gate as the Caravan enters, flags from the various Houses, and Regiments flying over the tents while others are posted in the ground. The Wagons carrying the supplies stop as the gate closes behind them while the others make their way through the inner sections of the camp with the reinforcements still following behind them. They enter the centre of the camp where a large tent with the Royal Banner on either side of the entrance, doubles of other House Banners spaced a few feet apart marking a path with a dozen spearmen in studded armour standing guard outside the tent. Marcus, and Kara dismount their horses as a coupe stewards approach to tie off the horses as they walk towards the tent while the House Guard remain outside on their horses.

They enter the tent and there stands eight men standing around a large wooden table with a map with painted wooden pawn-like figures marking different areas of the Twin Valley.

"Ah Sire Cnaith, Welcome back! I'd began to think those Royal Calvary bastards convinced you to stay." A light skinned middle aged man with short-ish brown hair, brown eyes, in plate armour says jokingly having taken noticed of their entrance

"No Mi'lord, Capital life would bore me too death." the two laugh as the rest of the men turn to face Kara, and Marcus.

Some of these men she recognizes right away, and feels a sense of relief to see. One of which being her uncle Liam: a bigger man with a full greying beard ,and greying hair wearing leather armour. He walks up to her she goes to give him a hug having not seen him for so long but she finds her feet lifting off the ground as he gives her a bear hug while laughing joyfully seeing her.

"AH lass, I've missed you!" He say with a thick accent with a wide smile, Kara smiles as her uncle looks at her.

"My Gods, you look more lovely than ever Kara! Look at you, you were just a wee thing when I last saw you! Now you're all grown up!" Kara eyes light up as she laughs while her uncle brushes her now slightly messy hair out of her face.

I can't remember the last time I saw my uncle, its been so long. He served by my fathers side during the Xion Invasion so of course he answered Aidan's call when the Rebellion started. Never backed down from a fight in his life.

The same man from before calls the attention back by clearing his throat before speaking with a neutral tone,

"As touching as this is, we do have a battle to prepare for."