Chapter Six

Despite the cold resolve I showed Elizabeth, I was less certain I was going down the right path. Charlotte might have a healthy suspicion of vampires, but mortals seldom thought about the long term. It made sense since they only had so many days. On the other hand, vampires had a copious amount of days, even though they had no future. We cared too much about what we would never have, and mortals cared too little about what they did.

While she might not approve of my plan, Elizabeth always came through for me. She found a date for the Blood Gathering and it was sooner than I wanted. I shouldn't have been surprised, since it was falling on a full moon. Werewolves were often hired for protection. They would be at the height of their power that night. Still, it was too soon, and I considered delaying until Charlotte could handle it. Of course, my plan was to get Charlotte to change her mind. To frighten her away. Her fear might lessen if she spent more time with me.

It took a few days to suggest the idea to Charlotte. At least she wasn't a mortal with a questionable love of risks. Lively voices filled the background as the silence between us roared. She agreed to meet in a public place.

I pretended to enjoy my salad while waiting for her to speak. This place was far less relaxing for me than it might be for her. Too many mortals, all tempting me. A melody of scents forcing me to fight for the self-control I had taken years to develop. My predator instincts made it hard to ignore the vulnerable ones. Someone who drank a little too much or a person who was caught up in their own world. The loneliest mortals would have been the easiest to seize. A few right words and they would let their guards down. Then, once eyes were away from us, I could sink my teeth in and drink as much of their savory blood as I wanted. If they died, their fellow mortals would blame them before they thought to look for a monster in the night. That was why monsters could exist. Mortals would rather reproach their own than accept the truth.

"Are you all right?" Charlotte asked, surprising me.

I shook my head, trying to banish my murderous instincts. "I'm fine. This salad isn't the best."

"I'm surprised you eat normal food." She took a bite. "Anyway, you get what you pay for. I always thought people like you had more expensive tastes."

Even though no mortals were listening, she danced around the topic. Mortals feared being accused of madness, even though we lived in a mad world. "I don't know if you noticed, but I'm not exactly living in a penthouse." Of course, to me, it felt like a castle compared to where I had lived when I was younger. My younger self would have appreciated an air conditioner on sweltering summer nights. "You need a certain ruthlessness and politics to acquire the means for that taste. I have enough to share an apartment with Elizabeth."

Charlotte sipped her soda. "Do you have a job?"

She was prolonging the decision that could destroy her life. As someone with nothing better to do than sit around and wait for sunrise, I indulged her question. "Not now. I have savings. When necessary, I obtain dangerous things for witches, since magic has little effect on me."

"What about in the past?"

Mortals had a strange preoccupation with occupations. Probably because it took up half of their lives. But I suspected she was trying to humanize me. "The times I needed one."

I hoped that would suffice. I had little interest in explaining the mundane aspects of my existence.

"No." She winced, as if preparing for an aggressive reaction. "I meant when you were alive."

It was a good thing I had enhanced hearing or I would have missed her swift whisper. No one was listening to us and even if they were, it's not as if they would think this was an honest conversation.