Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Driving to my apartment I realize how normally reckless I am when driving. I'm not proud of it and quickly realize some unconscious habits I've picked up such as being on the phone or driving with my knees are things I shouldn't be doing with or without a baby in my car. Asking her if she wants anything specific for dinner, she tells me whatever I want is fine. She seems so far away checking in the mirror every so often on Nephy. As I'm pulling into my drive her phone rings startling her. Staring at the screen she sighs. "They know something is wrong." Swiping the bar, she puts the phone on speaker.

       Rayne, is ya okay?

       Of course I am Misty.

       Yas lyin. Diane called Dee and asked if we'd heard from ya. What did she do?

       I'm fine. I'm handling it.

       That's not what Ah asked.

       I- she hit me while I had Nepenthes...

       Whys she mad ova a plant?

       Mist, Nepenthes is your Goddaughter's name.

       Wait ma w-what!?

       I'm sorry I didn't tell you all I-

       Stop right there Darlin'. Ya don't have ta explain nothin ta no one. Wes all know exactly what Diane is like. Controllin' bitch...

       Actually, you guys don't know what she's like. I've spent so long trying to protect her...

       Rayne, what are yas talkin' about?

       I want Diane brought to Emily. Tomorrow morning. Call Lucifer and find her any way you have to just make sure she's alive. She doesn't get to take the easy way out of this.

       We'll bes there first thing tomorrow mornin'.

       Ending the call there she lets out a breath. A thick silence settles over us. Finally making it home I put it in park but instead of getting out we both just sit there. "Ray?" Turning my head to look at her she's already looking at me.

       "I have some things to tell you, but you probably won't believe me." Shaking my head, no I promise her anything she tells me I'll try to understand.

       Nodding before she can start, I stop her to suggest we go inside first. She looks hesitant but agrees. Carrying the car seat, her backpack, and the baby's bag I carry everything else. Showing her the guest room, everything gets strewn across the mattress as her main priority is getting Nephy out of the car seat as she's begun to fuss. Telling her I'm going to go put the food in the kitchen I give her space letting her know she's free to come down whenever she's ready. Thanking me I pull the door to try to give her as much privacy as possible even though I'm the only other person in the house.

       Stopping in my room to change for the night once I'm in my sweatpants my body relaxes a bit. Dishing out the takeout I cover them to reheat when she's ready. Pulling down a bottle of wine I open it up to aerate it. Sliding onto one of the stools I sit there and think back on everything that's happened starting at that first field case. Everyone seems to think they know what Diane is doing but that's obviously not the truth. She's been keeping everything that was happening to her from them for a very long time. Oppositely though she never tried to hide it from me, I just didn't want to believe it was truly that bad.

       After a while I pour myself, some wine swirling it around in the glass. Hearing approaching footsteps I sit down the glass just as she rounds the partisan. "I'll reheat the food. Do you want a glass?" Stepping further into the kitchen she nods.