Part 3: Eve

Hector and I walk to the middle of the grand room, the ten foot tall walls painted black and ceiling to floor length, heavy blood-red curtains hanging over the large windows. Our faction division head, and immediate boss, Nicolas, sits in a large mahogany chair with his hands resting on the arms, his right leg crossed over his knee. He watches us, his chin jutting out slightly. He doesn't look happy, but honestly, when does this poor sap look happy? We stop a few feet from him before the floor steps up onto a stage. His confidence radiates off of him as he sits alone in the huge room, not a bodyguard in sight. He probably doesn't feel like he needs one. He could snap your neck with two fingers and it would be as easy as bending a blade of grass. Vampire perk number three or four... I've lost count but it doesn't matter. With age comes strength and power. And Nicolas is very old.

"Hector," His deep voice rumbles in the large room and I stifle a shiver, clasping my hands securely behind my back and standing straight forward.

"Yes," Hector bows low, then rises slowly and meets his eyes.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice, my son." He speaks slowly and lazily, absolutely in no rush.

"Of course, Father." He bows his head.

"Eve," His attention makes my skin heat, holding eye contact with him makes me burn within.

"Yes, Father." I bow as well, though not as deep because my dress is really tight.

"You have impressed me lately. I've been keeping an eye on you, as you are probably aware. Hector here informs me of a little habit you have." Hector's body tenses next to me, and I feel like I might actually vomit my blood-tini onto the floor. I say nothing, just hold eye contact and try not to visibly shake. Nicolas surprises me by laughing. "I can't say as I blame you, humans have a certain charm don't they?" He smiles at me, showing all his teeth as he shifts in his seat. I exhale silently.

"I didn't bring you here to reprimand you." He looks back at Hector, his smile disappearing. "However I do have a question for you." Hector raises his chin, ready. "Did you organize an attack on The Moons two days ago in the outskirts of Noctura?" Nicolas leans forward, elbows on his knees, to gauge Hector's reaction. Hector looks confused, eyes darting around the room before landing back on Nicolas's. He shakes his head quickly.

"No, Father, of course not, I-" He stutters.

"Are you telling me my informant is wrong?" Nicolas interrupts, his voice low and deadly.

"No, I'm just-" Hector panics, bringing his hands up palms facing out in a plea of innocence.

"Are you then suggesting that they lied to me?" He stands up suddenly and steps down the two levels to stand directly in front of us. His proximity is intimidating, but I hold my ground and try to keep my shoulders relaxed. This doesn't seem to be about me, and for that I'm grateful. Hector is beginning to sweat, his breath coming fast and shallow.

"No, Father," His voice shakes. "I was not aware of such an attack, and the order did not come from me. I would never do something like that without your permission." Hectors eyes are glued to the floor, his brow furrowed in shame and fear. Nicolas stands in front of him and raises his face with his fingers under his chin. He forces Hector to look at him, and he looks like he is about to burst into tears.

"I don't believe you." He whispers. He raises his hand to Hector's face, stroking it gently before two-inch long claws extend from his fingers and he swipes them effortlessly across his throat. Hector's breath stops instantly and his head slides off his body, the suction sound making my stomach tighten with nausea as it thumps to the floor and rolls away from us, leaving a dark red smear on the marble. A small squeaking sound escapes my lips, and I am unable to stop from shaking now. I squeeze my hands together behind my back and look down at the floor, away from Hector's body as it slumps onto the floor. Nicolas retracts his claws and flexes his hand subtly, sliding it into his slacks pocket.