Part 8: Liam

Five days pass while I wait for Wednesday to come, and also wait to hear from Eve. I never do. I try to focus on my work, stay safe and catch bad guys, you know. But every second I'm not working, I'm thinking about her. About what I'm going to have to do, how I'm going to have to use her, for Travis and for the good of the city. Cutting one head off this dangerous, multi headed snake is just a battle at the beginning of a war.

Milo purrs on my lap, curled up in a ball as I slowly stroke his back. It's Wednesday afternoon, and I haven't been able to sleep all day since I got off work at seven this morning. Every time I lay my head down I see her face behind my lids. Her sparkling green eyes examining me, judging me. Then I see her burning. Fire reflecting in those green eyes, now pleading as she reaches for me.

I get up suddenly, agitated and anxious, accidentally rolling Milo onto the floor. He lands with a meow and pitters off down the hall as I get up off the couch and go to the painting room. It's still daylight, and the glow of the sun gives the room a warmth that artificial light doesn't. The painting I've been working on this week seems to glow with a deep radiance, and I stand in the middle of the room and admire my work. My phone rings in the living room, so I run out to grab it without checking the name.

"Hello?" I answer, breathless.

"Liam." Travis says under his breath on the other line.

"Why are you whispering?" I ask, lowering my voice, too, for some reason.

"It's tonight, right?" He asks. He sounds like he's under a blanket, or muffled somehow.

"Yes." I confirm. "Where are you right now?"

"In my car," he sounds confused, which makes me confused. "I think someone has been following me."

My blood rushes to my feet, and I grip the phone tight, trying to stay calm.

"For how long? What does the vehicle look like?" I quiz, "Travis don't go home."

"They've already been to my house." He states shakily. I hear his breathing pick up.

"What's happening Trav, talk to me." I'm running to my room to shove some pants on, grabbing my keys and gun on my way back to the door at the same time as tripping into my boots.

"I'm at a red light on Central and Harrison." He whispers again. "They are right behind me. I have definitely seen this car multiple times this week. Two men."

Two men who must be human, because the sun is bright in a cloudless sky today. No vampires would risk being outside. I rush out the door, starting my truck as I slide in the seat and before I even shut the door all the way I'm backing out into the street.

"I'm coming. Where are you headed? I'll meet you there." I say, my voice straining. I wish I could just teleport to him.

"I'm headed home." He sounds defeated. He sounds like he feels something coming and he is accepting it. I grit my teeth.

"Fuck, Trav. Can you not go home?? Go anywhere else!!" I rack my brain, trying to help him out of this somehow as I race down the boulevard. "Just keep driving, stay moving." I plead with him.

"Thank you, Liam." His voice is calm as he speaks and I feel hot tears prick my eyes, mashing my teeth together so hard they might crack.

"Stop saying goodbye, damnit." I growl. I push my foot on the accelerator, my truck protesting with each increasing tick on the speedometer.

"You have been my best friend for a long time." He takes a ragged breath, and I squeal around a corner going about sixty.

"Travis!!" I yell into the phone, "Please, drive past your house! I'm half a minute away!" I have to put the phone down to take another corner, nearly t-boning a sedan as I bring the phone back to my ear. "I'm almost there. Stay in your car."