The final stretch 🔵

Sakura's Pov

It was roughly a day after the skirmish with the sound ninja, and since then, I've observed some peculiar dynamics between Sasuke and Misaki. I've been cognizant of their tight bond since the Land of Waves mission, but now it appears to have deepened—it's almost as if they're dating. And ever since they both received marks from Orochimaru, Sasuke has become extremely protective of Misaki; he hardly allowed me to bandage her wounds without casting glares my way.

I was setting up a campfire with the wood Misaki had collected for the fish that Sasuke and Naruto were catching. She had gone out again about ten minutes earlier to gather some edible nuts and berries for us. "Sakura-San... I'm back..." came a soft voice; turning, I saw Misaki holding a small basket brimming with various nuts and berries. "You're quick, aren't you?" I remarked with a smile, which she returned. Honestly, I regretted my previous coldness towards her. If I had made an effort to know her better earlier, we might have been close friends by now. She set the basket down and took out a flask of water to rinse the berries. As I called Sasuke to light the wood with his fire style jutsu, she interjected, "I can light it, Sakura-San," and began to form a hand sign.

"No, I've got it... you've already done enough," Sasuke said, approaching from behind and gently placing a hand on her shoulder. Despite her urge to counter, a look from him made her step back reluctantly as he ignited the fire. Moments later, Naruto, down to his boxers, returned with four fish for our meal. We skewered the fish and propped them by the fire to cook. Sasuke then mentioned that four days had passed since the exam began, putting us in a precarious situation—a sentiment Misaki's perplexing expression seemed to echo. "Sakura-san... I should've asked sooner, but what exactly happened in the fight with the Snake woman you called Orochimaru? I think that's her name. I can't get past what you told that sound ninja... it's baffling," she inquired. Sasuke glanced at her, then at Naruto and me, revealing our shared confusion. "Wait... you don't recall any of it?" I questioned. She nodded, recounting that her last memory was of Naruto and Sasuke's dispute over the scroll.

Sasuke had a bewildered expression on his face at the new discovery, as he questioned her a little. After a minute or so he turned back to me and also asked for an explanation, I sighed as I recalled what happened.

.

.

.

.

Sakura's Pov(Past)

"They did it!" I exclaimed, leaping down to Sasuke and Misaki who had successfully trapped and scorched the serpentine woman. "Are you guys okay?" I inquired, approaching them as they gasped for air, having expended a great deal of chakra. Misaki's black gloves, part of her attire, were shredded from a needle jutsu I presumed was a clan technique, while Sasuke's leg oozed blood from a self-inflicted wound. "Hold on..." I uttered, focusing on Sasuke who seemed in graver condition, when suddenly a numbing pain overwhelmed me, sending me to my knees.

'I can't move...!' was the panicked thought as I glanced at Sasuke and Misaki, who, despite being similarly afflicted, remained upright. The woman they had subdued was not only standing but had executed some paralysis jutsu. Introducing herself as Orochimaru, she commended Sasuke's prowess before incinerating the scroll before our eyes. Misaki's growl caught my attention; she was struggling to move, her eyes a vivid ocean blue. Redirecting my gaze to Orochimaru, I watched her form another seal, her neck elongating as she targeted Sasuke.

I gasped in horror as she approached, and at that moment, a gust of wind whistled past my head. The woman's head was pressed against Sasuke's neck, and Misaki was no longer beside me. Instead, she had stabbed 'Orochimaru,' forcing her to release Sasuke. He fell onto the branch, screaming in agony. I grasped his hand and placed my other hand on his back as he cried out. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I forced myself to look at Misaki.