7 - The Flashback

It took several minutes before either could speak again.

Chanzel explained that all the seekers on the team were once abducted as children and rescued by the Kymari at some point during their lives. Their passion for finding these lost and stolen children is personal. They spoke for about an hour before we went to the local clinic for a DNA test. It will take a few hours for it to come back.

Zubin asked if she would like to return to the house and continue her research, but she declined, stating she needed to meet with her team, which she must do at the government office area. As we said our goodbyes, she promised to return for the evening meal.

Zubin took this time to contact his parents with the news of all that had happened. I needed a nap with all the emotions running through me and the horrible night's sleep.

As I got comfortable under the heat lamp, I thought of my parents, which led to other thoughts of my past as I dozed off.

<Flashback>

"Are you sure you want to do this, Jenna?" My former maid of honor asked.

"Absolutely," I said with feeling. "He will never forget my name after this."

I looked down at the red floor-length dress I bought that morning. Thank goodness they had one that fit without alterations.

My family decided to give me the wedding of my dreams after I got involved with the son of their best friends. They were so happy to unite the two families after watching us grow up together. Once the whole family arrived, I noticed the fiancée of one of my cousins flirting with my soon-to-be husband. I ignored it as I knew nothing would come of it. I trusted him completely.

That trust was misplaced. I had planned a surprise for him the night before, which gave me a heads-up on him leaving with that woman. They were followed to the airport, and a picture was taken of them kissing. They did not tell anyone and were going to let me be left at the altar, humiliating me further. That didn't happen, though.

My ladies at my wedding party allowed my craziness, removing the music for our walk down the aisle, and replaced it with my new choice, Shake it Off, by Taylor Swift. My wedding planner stood in an almost closed doorway with a tablet, recording the women dancing down the aisle in tune with the beat while at the same time letting me watch them and the reaction of the audience. Everyone stared, dumbfounded, as their beautiful forest green dresses shimmered in the lighting; the groomsmen looked on in wonder. My father took a seat after learning what had happened and smiled wide at their performance. My mother just looked on in horror.

Once they were all at the front, I danced down the aisle in my beautiful red gown. I gave a good spin as I reached the end and stopped facing my audience.

"Welcome to all our family and friends!" I yelled out. "It seems the groom has decided to leave me for another that he met two days ago! So today has become a day to thank the powers that be that I dodged that bullet! We need to celebrate this wonderful occasion! Since my family has already paid for the reception, let's party!"

All of us girls shouted, "Shake it off!" and we danced back out of the area where the ceremony was supposed to be. The photographer and video person had been told to capture it all, as I planned to post it on social media.

His family was shocked, and most just sat there and stared. I was guessing I was not the only one he didn't tell before he left.

My dream drifted to the reception and my speech about how he had done me a solid by leaving when he did. I would have never been able to live my best life with him. My maid of honor posted a live feed of the speech on her social media and tagged me and my former fiancee.

<End Flashback>

As I awoke, my sleeping brain remembered how the backlash from his family and friends was beyond anything I hoped for. His parents were mortified, and his fellow students didn't want to be seen with him. He was ostracized from the clubs he belonged to and flunked out of school.

I took a moment and wondered what would have happened if I married him. He had wanted me to stop at my bachelor's degree and teach while he became a lawyer. I was so in love with him and happy that I had agreed. After the failed wedding, I cut my ties with his family and submerged myself in my studies, determined to make a better life for myself than I would have had with him. He had become the teacher he wanted me to be. Poetic justice.

I suddenly realized that if I had married him, I would be dead, along with the rest of the humans. Wow.

The doorbell chime drew my attention, and I realized Chanzel was probably returning for the evening meal. I stretched before looking around for Zubin, who was watching me with a half smile.

"You just had the most perplexed look on your face. What were you thinking of?" He asked as he walked to the door.

"Something from my past just clicked in my mind. Nothing important." My reply did not get an answer as he opened the door. I was surprised to see Tran, another fire lizard handler, standing there, his lizards--Abby and Dirk, on his shoulder.

"Sorry to show up announced. Do you have a few minutes to help me with an issue with the port master?" He asked.

"Of course. Come in."

*******

Prompt 7:

Left at the altar, you seek revenge on your ex.

(971/7335 words)