4 - Footprints

I was surprised when the woman, Genesa, packed the few things in the stall into one box and handed it to an old woman in the stall next to her. She murmured a blessing to the woman and pulled a backpack-like case over her shoulder.

"We can leave now. Everything I need is with me."

Zubin took a moment to examine the crowd before motioning her to walk beside him on the left, with me on his right shoulder. I'm guessing he didn't trust her around me.

The way back to the ship was an ordeal.

I snarled and hissed at anyone who tried to get close enough to pick the Kymari's pockets while also giving Zubin a heads up at someone who wanted to throw a dagger our way. It didn't surprise me that it was aimed at Genesa. She was as quick as a Kymari-trained guard, catching it and throwing it back. It lodged in the chest of the alien that threw it.

Once we were back on the ship, I relaxed and went to my food bowl and water for a snack.

"What is his name?" the newcomer asked.

"Her name is Jenna." You could hear the caring in Zubin's voice as he looked at me fondly. While this race does not usually show emotion, dragonet handlers always smile at their bonded animals. We tend to bring out the best in them.

He turned back to her before motioning to a seat away from me. "You can sit here as I call to find out where to drop you. Is there any information you would like me to give them? It may get you sent to a better place."

"The group trying to kill the prince hopes to cause chaos and distrust among your people. In case you did not notice, there wasn't much in my stall because I mainly pay and charge for information." She paused a moment to remove her pack and sit down before continuing. "While I did pay a substantial amount for it, I will gladly trade the information for whatever backwater planet you send me to, as long as the Kymari controls it."

"Do you have the name of the group?"

"I do. I will share it and anything else I know on the subject once I have been assured that I will be allowed to live amongst my people."

Since Earth is one of the most remote planets under Kymari's control, and we live there, she was sent home with us. A video stream was set up, and she told of the renegade band of Votaks that hoped to cause trouble within the royal family. Their ultimate hope was to cause distention that would cause people to take sides, sending the Kymari race into uncertainty.

This was the same race that killed off the human population on Earth and was responsible for creating dragonets.

They hoped to recreate something from their own history, which dates back several thousand years. However, they should have considered the Kymari's mentality because anyone who has spent time among them would have known they would band together to find who was responsible, not fight amongst themselves. No one ever said the Votaks were smart. She had information on the leader and where they were currently hiding. The Kymari will make quick work of them.

Genesa was taken to a medical building and quarantined until she could be given a full medical review and told where to go by the Elder assigned to Earth, Elder Dairno.

When we approached our house, I was so happy to see it. I could not wait to do the morning song in my backyard tomorrow morning. We have been on a ship for the last two days, and I miss it desperately!

Zubin stopped as soon as we stepped out of the shuttle, staring at the ground. When I followed his line of sight, I saw it too.

Muddy footprints. Not just any footprints, though. Dragonet footprints.

Anyone who saw this would assume they were mine, but Zubin only lets me fly and walk around our house, backyard, and the park. I have never walked anywhere else. Whenever we go out, I am on his shoulder with my harness, showing I am a bonded fire lizard.

Those prints are not mine. For the same reasons, they would not belong to any other bonded fire lizard.

The only reason they could be there is from a dragonet within the wild flock, but they NEVER leave the central park. What could have caused one to leave?!

"Drake! Is the flock alright?!" I yelled through the mindlink to our unvoted leader of the wild flock.

"We are fine, Jenna. Why are you upset?"

"Someone from the flock came to my home! There are footprints outside my door!"

"Jenna? Are you okay?"

I took a big breath and bumped my muzzle against Zubin's chin.

"You check the bonded dragonets, and I will ask about the prints around the park. As far as I know, nothing is wrong here. Let me know if you find out anything." I could tell that Drake was concerned that someone left the park without telling anyone.

"I will. You do the same." I immediately let the link drop and opened the new one to Zubin. "The wild flock is fine, according to Drake. He wants me to contact the other bonded ones to ensure it wasn't them. He is going to question the wild ones."

"Would you like my help?"

"I could probably do it faster. I would love fresh food and a good scrubbing once you are ready." I replied. I know he would love to shower and clean up, too. However, I also know he will take care of me first. He always does, from day one of finding me unconscious while walking to clear his head. I had tried to fight off a fox before the Kymari had removed them from the park. I flamed the critter, and he ran, but not before he pounced on my chest and broke some ribs. I was dying when Zubin found me. Several dragonets were en route to me, but they would not have been able to save me as we have no medical technology.

Zubin saved my life that day and hasn't left my side since. About twenty years ago, I was the fifth dragonet to become a bonded fire lizard to the Kymari, and I would not change a thing. I love my life.

Over the next several days, every dragonet was asked personally or through the general mind link with the wild flock. No one admitted to coming to my home.

Could there be other dragonets out there?

*******

Prompt 4:

You find strange, muddy footprints leading up to your front door.

(1105/4302 words)