11 - Family (Epilogue)

It's been a year since the young prince went missing, and our lives changed forever.

Who would have guessed that the one little assignment would have far-reaching consequences?

First, we find Genesa when looking for the party responsible for trying to kill the prince.

Then we find out that Genesa knows of a shuttle that was crashed on purpose to steal children.

And one of those children belonged to Zubin. 

We also learned that when Genesa got that information, she went after that group and killed all involved. She couldn't locate the children because too much time had passed, but she got the ones responsible.

The investigator sent out to Zubin ended up being his daughter.

The muddy dragonet footprints outside our home were from my childhood 'boyfriend,' whom I talked to in the chatroom set up for dragonets.

I am now mated, and Cubby officially belongs to Genesa.

Zubin and Genesa are married! The bracelet we chose for her that day is a beautiful silver with light blue stones.

Lastly, Genesa is a droid that her mom built because she wanted a daughter and couldn't have any more children!

It was a turbulent couple of months, but we settled in well.

Today, we received a communication from Elder Dairno. A new starship was explicitly created for recreational space travel, and we have been chosen to go on its first journey!

He chose us so that Cubby and I could ensure the ship was safe from any creatures smuggled aboard or trying to catch a free ride. But who am I to complain? I can't wait to see what the Kymari race considers 'activities' on a cruise ship! I'm sure it will be different from the old Earth ones.

<><><><><><><><>

"I've accessed the floor plans, and there is more than enough space for you both to fly around. I also ensured they have enough food on your dietary lists," Genesa said as she pulled more information from her laptop.

"Do they have anything listed that the fire lizards would like to do?" Zubin asked as he worked on cleaning my scales. Cubby was still eating his breakfast, so Genesa had free hands to look.

"They plan to have something called 'Evasion Rooms'. They give you clues where you must figure out how to overcome the situation. It sounds interesting, but it is not set up for fire lizards. They have a geodome on board that is set up like a park and even has a pond. There are several training exercises and play activities for any children. I'm sure we can find something they will like."

"I think that first one is like an escape room," Cubby told me. Usually, we include Zubin and Genesa in our conversations unless they are private or about our human past.

We will never tell our handlers that we were once human. The DNA blending experiment that created us is banned in all galaxies. If anyone found out how we came to be, the originals could be killed due to these laws. The second and third generations would be safe, as they were born into it. Only one handler knows, and he destroyed all the evidence that would make our situation known. The only way the Kymari would find out is if we told them. Our DNA shows that we are a descendant of sorts to the monsters we track, the Sicora.

"We will be fine with just the park. We would also love to watch you and Zubin in some activities. Please don't make this all about us. We want you to have fun." Cubby said to Genesa as he flew over to her shoulder and rubbed his muzzle against her cheek.

I don't mind that my mate loves Genesa, as I love Zubin similarly. It is a love breed deep inside of us, the love for a parent, a sibling, a best friend, and someone you wish to be with for your lifetime.

"I agree with Cubby," I said lethargically as Zubin rubbed in the oil that hydrates my skin like nothing else could. It was my little heaven in a bottle. My body responds so that I can't help but fall asleep as I lay across my handler's lap.

Zubin and Genesa smirked as she put the laptop away, and Cubby settled into her lap for his cleaning.

"You will both be receiving lots of attention. I would not be surprised if we were contacted before the trip to ensure they have everything you need aboard." Genesa stated.

"We are not that important," Cubby said with a huff.

"You underestimate yourself. Who would not want to be seen with a fire lizard? Look at what happened when Tessa was kidnapped. The amount of public outrage was incredible. The Council moved a whole fleet of fighters to get her back."

"Her handler was kidnapped, too. And--his family was powerful within the Kymari."

As I listened to this old argument on how we believe we aren't that big of a deal while the Kymari and other races do, I drifted off to sleep in the comfort and smell of Zubin.

Life is good.

*******

Prompt 11: (Final Prompt)

You are chosen to go on the first-ever recreational space journey.

(848/11557 words)