ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 27: TᕼE ᑌᑎᔕᑭOKEᑎ

For half a year, she had vanished without a trace, leaving a void that weighed heavily on everyone's minds. The mysterious disappearance had the country in a state of unease, but it was the men who had held her in their hearts that felt the deepest impact. Their lives had taken a drastic turn, a shift they never could have anticipated. The absence of any leads or clues about her whereabouts left them feeling hopeless and lost. Carlton neglected his family's business, consumed by thoughts of her and unable to focus on anything else. Meanwhile, Kelan found himself drifting further and further from his own reality, feeling isolated and adrift without her presence.

Raymond was sipping his coffee when he heard the house's phone operator announce, "Hey, this is Erica speaking! I... I just want to know how you're doing, Kelan! Please answer my calls!" He sighed, realizing that Kelan's absence was becoming a cause for concern. It was a situation he never anticipated dealing with. Suddenly, Reeve's bark startled Raymond as he turned to see Kelan entering the kitchen.

"Is this how we're going to live together now? Like strangers?" Raymond asked, his annoyance evident in his voice at Kelan's lack of consideration.

"You're the last person I'd expect to be acting so..." Raymond was abruptly cut off by Kelan's sharp words.

"Acting like a peasant! Like a rural goddamn peasant? Because that's what I am now, Raymond!" Kelan shouted without remorse at his friend. Raymond's pained expression spoke volumes. He was hurt and disappointed by Kelan's attitude over the past few months.

"You know what... It's your problem if you want to live your life like the peasant you claim to be! But one thing is crystal clear to me... you need to pull yourself together! See a therapist because you're starting to resemble your old man!" Raymond retorted before storming out of the kitchen. Reeve, sensing the tension in the air, perked up his ears and observed for a moment before letting out a nonchalant yawn. Kelan sighed softly as his gaze shifted to Reeve.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you, Reeve!" Kelan said sarcastically, his eyes full of pain as he looked at his dog. He quickly grabbed an apple from the counter and left the house.

As the day went on, Kelan tried to lighten up during his voluntary lectures at the neighborhood library. His eyes lit up as he interacted with the teenagers gathered around him, eagerly listening to his words. These moments brought him a sense of peace, a break from the constant turmoil in his own life. However, the questions raised by the kids were unexpected and challenging.

"But isn't that for a girl to read? That's just lame, Mr. Cruze! I don't want to read that!" One of the boys expressed his dissatisfaction, casting a disapproving look at the others. The girls quickly jumped in, defending their choice of reading material.

"Quiet... please, keep it down!"

"Do I need to remind you all that we are in a library?"

"Show a little respect!" Kelan retorted at the kids, who were exchanging eye rolls with each other.

"And to answer your question, Shawn, this book isn't just for girls! I want you all to understand this: there's a book for everyone, even if you don't think there is. A book that reaches out and touches your soul! But if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking!" Kelan spoke passionately as he stood before the children, capturing their undivided attention.

"Do you want to broaden your mind, expand your knowledge, Shawn?" Kelan inquired, noticing the hint of confusion on the boy's face.

"Yes, but... I just never really considered reading romance before," Shawn admitted softly. Kelan chuckled and approached him.